Adding of brackets to a condensed instruments

Hello Dorico team,
I would like to ask, if it’s possible, for an improvement which will allow us to add
brackets to condensed instruments.
For example:

I would like to add brackets to the Oboes, the same way as it appears for the Flutes, but without dissolving them into separate staffs.
I would be a time saver if it’s possible. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

Engrave mode.

Hi @Derrek,
I perfectly know how to apply brackets in Engrave mode.
I have totally different request…
It’s not possible, currently, to add brackets to condensed instruments.
One needs to dissolve the condensed instruments in order to add brackets and then to condense them back.
I’m asking for an improvement that will allow us to add brackets to condensed instruments, too.

Greetings :slight_smile:

If you set Instruments of the same kind within a bracketed group to Use secondary brackets on the Brackets and Braces page of Layout Options, Dorico will automatically show sub-brackets for adjacent instruments of the same kind, and you should also set When only one staff of sub-bracketed group is shown to Draw sub-bracket, which will ensure that Dorico shows a sub-bracket for a single condensed staff.

1 Like

Hi Daniel,
Thank you very much for the advice! :slight_smile:
I’ve just checked all those settings in the Layout Options > Brackets and Braces.
Everything you’ve mentioned is set as the default behavior, but Dorico creates them only for new projects, not for those transferred from a previous versions.
I’m using a template created in Dorico 3.5. There is no way to apply those settings for earlier projects. I have to manually add sub-brackets in Engrave mode, but when the instruments are condensed… it’s not possible.

Best regards,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

I can’t think of any reason why this would be the case. Why don’t you attach your template here?

Do you have any bracketing or barline changes? (If unsure, look for brown signposts).

Sometimes this happens to me. I uncondense and then delete the signpost. All goes back to normal.

1 Like

Hi Daniel,
I’ve sent you the project file on private message few days ago. Have you been able to take a look at it? :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Thurisaz

Yes, I have, but I’ve not reached any conclusions.

Hmm… sometimes, with project transferred from a previous version, Dorico makes some problems with the bracketing and I have to manually fix them in Engrave mode.
That’s why I requested an improvement that will allow us to add brackets and braces to condensed instruments in Engrave mode.
This will be a time saver. :slight_smile:

No, if there’s a problem, we should fix it. Please leave the software design to us. Your role as a user is to describe what you are trying to do. Our role as the team behind the software is to determine whether or not your requirements are valid, what priority they should have, and how to address them.

3 Likes

Daniel, I’m doing exactly that. :slight_smile:
When you have a project with many condensed instruments and after a transfer you realize that most of the bracketing aren’t correct… Then I need to dissolve the instruments in order to fix the problem manually. Sometimes I need to do it on multiple places across the the project and then to condense the instruments back.
Actually the case with the project I’ve sent to is the explained above.
I’ve experienced this problem many times, but this is the first time I reported it. :slight_smile:

Best regards :slight_smile: