Adding SKI Freezes Cubase

Not new to Windows machines. Win 10 Pro 22H2 on 3.6 mhz xeon, 24 gb ram, had no issues with Cubase 10 and SKI. Bonjour 64 bit installed and running, Latest SKI 64 bit installed (w/removal). At the instance SKI is added (+) the program is frozen. Cubase runs fine berfore attempting to add SKI. Chat said maybe a bug, but to try the forum first.

1. run cubase 11 elements (lastest update)
  2. open new template project file
  3. open Studio Setup
  4. Add Device click on ‘+’
  5. Choose SKI Remote
    PROGRAM HANG/FREEZE EVERY TIME.

Hi,

Attach the DMP file, please.

Win: %userprofile%/Documents/Steinberg/Crash Dumps

crash dumps
I wish I could. As you can see, none were generated recently. Is there a way to force them to happen, because it appears that it crashes before a dump is made. (if that is possible…)

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 12:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase12

Nuendo 12:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo12

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Not sure you can view this video. It just shows what I have written as actions taken creating "Not Responding’ in task manager…

Hi,

OK, so it doesn’t crash, it freezes. Use the ProcDump mentioned above, please.

I had issues with procdump. “No process matching the specific name” Tried a few things (like using the actual name shown in Windows with spaces %20, and, the elevating of cmd.exe as suggested by the app) but couldn’t get it to see the file. Then I remember that Task Manager can generate a DMP on the offending process. I have that done and if you can use it you can find it here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sba8pv91dm57n3x/Cubase%20LE%20AI%20Elements%2011.zip?dl=0

ps. I am using “Cubase LE AI Elements 11” (with Elements licensing)

Disable the Adobe things for a first try?
I bet there are other things running, not necessary for a DAW.

1 Like

I killed all Adobe processes and the freeze is still there.

Hello,

Were you able to access the DMP (Windows 10) file? The other user that mentioned stopping Adobe services was tried. I am running Macafee End Point Security Suite not that it should stop the program, and I tried this on a Mac and SKI does work without issue. But the studio DAW is the PC.

Hi,

Mac: macOS Console utility > Crash Reports (or ~user/Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports).
Win: %userprofile%/Documents/Steinberg/Crash Dumps

Hi again,
We are running in cirlces a little. My apologies. There is no Mac issue. Do not need help on the Mac installation of Cubase and SKI.

Regarding the Win 10 installation, I sent to you a DMP file (from Window Task Manager utility) and provided a link so you could get the file. I asked the question if you can work with the DMP file because the utitly you asked me to use (procdump64) would not work and I don’t know why.

I also asked if the McAfee software suite I run on the PC could be a problem with the SKI addition freeze of Cubase 11.

I hope that this gets us back on track.

Carl

I upgraded to Elements 12. Same problem, except I believe the Freeze log system in Cubase gave me a file to share. Here it is. (I also sent it to Steinberg Tech Support with link in startup error panel)
Cubase Elements 12.0.70.464 64bit 2023.7.8 22.02.31.977-freezedump.dmp (807.4 KB)

Could you please take a look at my last post. Thank you.

Hi,

Reported to Steinberg. Thank you.

1 Like