Adding tempo text after metronome value

Hi,

I would like to enter something like “Lentissimo (q = 40) (or slower)”. Is there a way to do it right in the Tempo box? It seems to me that you can’t add text after the metronome value.

Paolo

Not natively, no, but you could download Florian Kretlow’s Metrico font, install that, then use it to enter the quarter note in the middle of a string of System Text. You’d then need to hide an actual metronome mark for playback (which can be achieved by typing Shift+T q=40 Enter, then unticking the “Metronome mark shown” property.

Ah, thanks, that’s a clever workaround!

I was also trying with a text frame with a custom paragraph style imitating the one of the Tempo text, but this could end up in misalignment.

I wonder if I can do the same thing you suggest with a Character style, using the Bravura font for local text.

Paolo

You could (making sure to use the Bravura Text font), but Metrico makes it easy, and it’s free.

Seen it. It does a lot more things than the one I was looking for. Very interesting!

Paolo

Related, I prefer to state metronome marking first, vertically aligned with where that tempo starts, and then follow that with text, like
“q=48 delicate; trickles of glistening water”

It would be very handy if we could choose to place text after metronome mark.
Can use system text and hidden tempo, I suppose, but I’d rather do it simply and avoid problems when adjusting tempos.

[Feature request] Can we have the ability to add text after the tempo mark? Not being able to do this directly surprises me greatly. It’s so common. If the program can add text before, is it really technically difficult to make it add after, like prefix and suffix for dynamics, which is available.

There was a thread on this just a day ago.

Well, I think this is a grey area. Crotchet = 54 or slower - slower is not a playing technique, in that it does not describe how you attack the instrument, it’s more like an adverbial tempo modifier. This is so very common, having to fake it seems like a strange restriction to me. And we can see the topic keeps coming up. So: [Feature request].

1 Like

In your example, the addition of “or slower” is indeed a tempo indication, but that was not what I was responding to in the former thread. But what you are asking for is the same as what the OP of the other thread is asking for and you could therefore easily have added your comment there–and as I said in the original thread, I did not object to adding text-after-the-M.M.-marking to the Tempo Tool in the future.

@Derrek sorry for posting in the wrong thread. Feel free to move post, or delete.

As a maintainer of several Discourse forums, I know how hard it is to browbeat users into posting on the right topic, and I am as guilty oftentimes myself as them.