Additional text per flow

I know this question might be too specific but I figured it’s best to explain my specific situation so maybe someone here can point to the best solution.

I need special text with formatting at the beginning of different flows. It looks something like this:

Because it has formatting and it is different for each flow, I had no choice but to use page overrides.

The problem is - the page overrides are saved based on a page number. So if a flow starts on a different page after some other editing, this completely mess it up.

Is there a better solution for this? I like the idea of templates but it seems like they fall short on this specific case because of the lack of flexibility in the flows info (custom fields + formatting)

Have you considered entering your text in the Project Info dialog?

Then, add a text frame to the First Page template with the token for where you’ve written the text (I would suggest Other Information).

And, I’ve just reread and realised that you need formatting for the text :man_facepalming:

Unfortunately for now you’re right the overrides are tied to a page number and not to the flow we’re making modifications to, which is extremely frustrating…
I’ve been requesting regularly for a change for that as in instructional/educational material layout/formatting edits happen often or even changing your mind and willing to swap/move flows is frequent, but as of now still no progress in this domain, but who knows what might bring the next update ? (although I somehow believe it’s not on the immediate road map and we’ll still have to wait a while before Dorico becomes more flexible in this domain)

The only problem that I can see is the formatting.

Assuming that you are using the First Page template on all pages that a flow begins on (which you can set automatically), you can add a text frame to that template which will then also be at the start of every flow automatically.

If you have a token in that frame, such as {@otherinformation@}, and you have text in the relevant field of the Project Info dialog, then the text will appear there automatically. If there is no text in the field then nothing will appear in the text frame.

However, you will not be able to have different formatting for text that is in a single field. The formatting will be whatever you have the token set to.

This points up the need for formatted text in some field like Other Information, a worthwhile (if difficult to implement) feature request.

Until then, I would suggest creating a custom flow header template for each text item. It may be no less work than page overrides, but at least one has the flexibility to assign a custom header to a new page if pagination changes.

Adding formattable text in project info setting will help, but it won’t entirely solve the problem.

1. I’m already using the “other info” section for the “character list”

1. The nature of this cue, is that it can take more / less spaced based on the number of lines. This is not possible to do with tokens.

Another possible feature that will help, is to define overrides per flow instead of per page. Even though I’m technically not using a flow header here, but a first page template. It would be nice if you could attach the overrides per flow.

This use case complicates a bunch if you want to support more dialogue in the score, which I’ve seen being done:

(I actually got complaints from actors for better integration of score and dialog, which I believe no software today can I actually do well. )

A lot of people are looking forward to this, myself included. It will happen one day!

2 Likes

For that you are probably better off using In Design or Affinity Publisher with music inserts created in Dorico.

Another potentially easier route would be to use staff-attached text for your text. You would just need to then drag your music frame margin lower where necessary. I’m reasonably sure there will be a drawback of some kin!.

That sounds interesting. Can you elaborate on how would that work? What is “music inserts”? Is there a way to define layout in one of these softwares and automatically combine it with music and dialogue from a scripting software and Dorico?

@ShacharHarshuv , I think what @Derrek suggested is to use slices (export as as SVG for example) and then import them in the other publishing software

It seems like the slices feature requires you to manually select each slice. It might have been doable to combine music with another publishing software if there was a way to export all systems as a slice each (as svgs).
I’m no export in layout softwares, but it’s possible that these softwares can manage the “flow” of these slices like they do with text.

I think this are all possible things maybe in a dreamworld in a.d. 2549 :slight_smile:

Now serious: I think you have to number them and maybe by importing you can have some sort of automatic order where they appear, but I don’t think that the other software would understand the Dorico “flow” system for the music: they would be only graphics.

Emmm sound impractical on all fronts :man_shrugging:

For shorter bits, staff text is the way to go. You can move the staff up or down to accommodate it without creating a page override.

2 Likes

One of the problems with the staff text solution, is that it’s hard to control that it’s above everything. For example, it seems to appear below tempo marks.

I typically attach it to a later bar in the line, then move it as desired in Engrave, so it doesn’t collide with anything.

1 Like

Interesting suggestion. You might still encounter the problem of not having enough space, but I think I can work around this issue by making a bit more space before the start of the music frame in my template…

Also there is no guarantee of text alignment, but it might be something that I can live with.

I would say staff text (or system text if you want it to appear on more parts) is the way to go, just move the music frame up or down to create the space. I’d set the avoids collisions property off so it doesn’t affect spacing automatically, then tweak in engrave…

My 2 cents…

P