Adjustable and un-adjustable velocity bars

I encounter adjustable (dark purple in screen dump on the right) and un-adjustable (light purple) velocity bars in a score (that I did not make but am happy to use). How can I adjust those that, so far, seem un-adjustable?
Happy with any advice.
Thanks Maarten

the dark bars are those which have been adjusted and the light ones those which have not. You should be able to adjust either type by selecting the note and dragging the bar. Perhaps you’re trying to select the bar in both cases?

Thx so much David but… no I dutifully mark the note and then try changing the bar. But just no chance, just doesn’t wane cooperate.
Other suggestions?

I can’t replicate that at all and yet somewhere in the back of mind says I have on occasion seen something which might be similar. Unless anyone else has bright ideas in the meantime, I suggest attaching a section of a project where you’re having this issue and see if we can replicate it then! Is it a native Dorico project or imported MIDI/MusicXML by any chance. Are you using the current version of Dorico?

Thanks David for your help and interest.

I have attached the file in which I encounter the issue of the un-adjustable velocity bars (more precisely, the bars can be adjusted but as soon as you release the cursor they jump back to their original size).

I found the (midi) file in a collection of files I’m adapting for playing (through the computer) on our carillon.

I’m working in Dorico 3.5

Wonderful if you can shed light on this issue. Just to make clear, I have not tried to copy the collection of notes in a new file assuming (but not ascertained) I would include the issue I would like to get rid off.

Any more details you may need to know?
On my end, there is whatsapp, signal, zoom, … and the below.

Greetings Maarten
+49 160 9989 5686
maartensiebel@gmail.com

De Groot Verdronken vlinder (64).dorico (656 KB)

Have you tried adjusting (even individual) velocities with the line tool? That has saved me often when nothing else seems to work!

Thanks so much for this suggestion: yes with the line tool the light colored bars now can be adjusted. If now going back to do it the usual way gives a mixed result: some light colored bars still don’t adjust, other light colored bars adjust and then change color to dark colored bars (were always adjustable). A rather interesting response from the system.
But key, I can now adjust and that was the objectives.

Again, thanks so much.
Maarten

1 Like

David hope this message may save you some time:
Pls. take a look at the suggestion from SampoKasurinen and my response to him (copied below).

Response:

Thanks so much for this suggestion: yes with the line tool the light colored bars now can be adjusted. If now going back to do it the usual way gives a mixed result: some light colored bars still don’t adjust, other light colored bars adjust and then change color to dark colored bars (were always adjustable). A rather interesting response from the system.
But key, I can now adjust and that was the objectives.

Again, thanks so much.
Maarten

I’ve just opened the project and can confirm what you’re seeing and I’m sure I’ve had it also at some point in the past, probably with imported files. It seems that doing a simple “reset playback overrides” on a selected passage or whole score (from the PLAY menu) is working but you may not want to reset everything.

One thing which certainly doesn’t help is that if you exit the Play window and go back in, the cursor always reverts to “select” even if it’s actually one of the others which is actually active as seen in the left hand panel and this acknowledged bug still throws me at times

UPDATE I thought initially the draw tool gives more reliable results than the line but no, there’s more to it than this. In some circumstances nothing works. Will keep looking as I think this is potentially quite important.

I just spotted something which I should have seen before. You have set all three instruments to channel 3 instead of 1,2,3. You are thus asking Dorico to independently adjust the volume of different instruments on the same channel which is the cause of the erratic behaviour. If for some reason you really need to use the same channel (which I doubt is the case here) you will need to enable independent voice playback.

1 Like

David thanks again for your mail. I realized that I got stuck with the solution of what may be your colleague using the Line editor (that worked only very partially).
Yes, your comment that different instruments fixed to the same channel doesn’t make sense seems totally logical. So much so that I realized that earlier today but actually didn’t have immediately time to change it and then forgot about it. So thanks so much for solving this issue.
Kind regards,
Maarten Siebel

thanks, Maarten1, it’s good to know that’s also fixing the problem with you.