Adjusting messa di voce central handle

Hello, I have entered a messa di voce (Shift+D <>) on tied notes and I would like to move the central handle so that the “diminuendo” happens halfway the previous measure.

The 4 counts the number of quarter notes from the start of the MdV.

Schermafbeelding 2021-01-31 om 11.57.10

3 Likes

Thanks, I kept on grabbing and dragging and pushing modifier keys!

1 Like

A more low-tech way would be to move the caret in the top staff to halfway bar 116 and press U to break the ties there, then you can drag the midpoint to that location. If you then re-tie the chord, the dynamic stays put.

1 Like

Or select the center circular handle and press Shift-Alt-left arrow.

1 Like

I am on mac and shift+option+left arrow doesn’t work, what’s strange is that with the central handle selected those keys nudge the end tip of the messa di voce.

Beppe, make sure your rhythmic grid is set on a small value. This might be the reason it doesn’t work (alt-shift-left/right moves the things according to the rhythmic grid)

I actually think alt-left/right is better suited to move the handle. Alt-shift-left/right is to make the selection shorter/longer, not to move it.

1 Like

Yes, option (alt?) + shift + left/right arrow = makes things longer or shorter.
But, if there is a red circular handle doesn’t it mean that it is there for grabbing and nudging?

I’m still wondering about this. I’d like to be able to adjust the central handle and the right handle separately. If I adjust the central handle using Shift-Alt-arrow, the right end moves as well and if I adjust the endpoint, the central handle moves. Having to go to Engrave Mode and to adjust Mezza di Voce inflection manually in the Properties Panel seems a bit involved.

3 Likes

The keyboard shortcuts move the start position and length (only) by the rhythmic grid. When dragging, the handles snap only to the positions of notes, so it may require dragging a long distance to see any change. Dragging the central handle sets the “inflection” property. (This is available in Write mode.) Back in June 2017 Daniel said:

I find two of these things are still not true, in either 3.5 or 4.2:

1. initializing the value when the inflection property is switched on
    (I am not finding anything in the documentation about this value being in quarter notes. I would have been completely confused if I had not already read about it in this thread.)
  2. being able to change the inflection point from the keyboard

As it is, I don’t see any keyboard function for selecting the individual handles.

2 Likes

If this were indeed possible in version 1.1 as Daniel claimed, then this functionality has been removed. I still think it would be very useful to be able to adjust the inflection point freely using the mouse or function keys.

2 Likes