Adjusting rhythms and note lenghts in completed bars

I’m trying to figure out the best ways to adjust rhythms in completed bars. I’m trying to transcribe some solos and need to keep tweaking things to get it right.

This video says alt+side arrows moves notes left to right, and shift+alt+side arrows lengthens or shortens notes. But sometimes alt+arrows extends the rests when I’m trying to move them.
And sometimes I can’t move a standalone note across the tuplets without destroying them.

Doing this sort of thing was really easy in Finale. I could delete a note or a rest from anywhere in the bar and then add it back anywhere I wanted just by clicking it in. But Dorico forces the bar to always be full even when I’m working on. Finale would let me remove notes and it would only add missing rhythm back when I clicked out of a bar by adding rests at the end of it.

So far this is the one thing that is not easier in Dorico than Finale. How easy can it ultimately be compared to Finale?

If you have a crotchet rest on beat one, a crotchet on beat two, and you “extend” the rest by a quaver (depending on the rhythmic grid) then the result will be a crotchet rest, a quaver rest, and a quaver.

What behaviour would you hope for if you “moved” the rest instead?

Yes, Dorico does force the amount of material in each bar and ensures that if music doesn’t fill the bar then rests are added where necessary. I think this is one of the greatest strengths of the program.

I wasn’t a Finale user and so I have no idea what you’re referring to in regard to that. However, it is ridiculously easy navigating through the rhythmic positions of a bar to adjust the positions or lengths of notes and the rests take care of themselves.

You (almost) never edit rests, you edit notes. Dorico takes care of putting in the necessary rests by itself.

It’s not easier because you want to work in Dorico the same way you did in Finale. But Dorico is not the same as Finale, it has its very own concepts and workflows. This is the one Big Thing you have to internalize before happiness will arive in Dorico :wink:
(I’ve been coming from Finale, too.)

2 Likes

You (almost) never edit rests, you edit notes. Dorico takes care of putting in the necessary rests by itself.

I’ll think about it that way and see how much more sense it makes.

I just need to get the best sense of how I’m supposed to think when working in Dorico.
The thing with Finale is inputting notes was kind of slow.

Okay, this is proving much more intuitive when I started thinking around editing the notes and not the rests.
Yeah this is way better than Finale now.

3 Likes

Welcome to the club.

Have a good time here :wink:

@dspreadbury Is there as “Testimonies” section on the Dorico page? :smiley:

I’ve been using Dorico for a few months now, the “input mode” is of importance here! it’s good always to know when it should be on or off, it takes a little practice. I had to go back to an old Finale file to finish a work and it felt awkward, much slower to write note and chords, the latter can be done so easily in Dorico with a midi keyboard.