Advantage of stereo recording - cubase channel?

I’d never record two mics to one stereo track. There’s no benefit, and you can play with them more later if they’re mono.

Recording vocals in stereo is not a common technique as the mouth is pretty much a single point source of sound, so there’s very little advantage.

The only advantage would be if you had an excellent sounding room and you wanted to capture the ambience of the room.

Get a single good quality condensor mic, a decent quality preamp and make sure you don’t clip when you record, it’s easy to boost level once you have recorded. Compressing the vocal is essential after recording to get a professional sound and will boost the level up to where you need it to be.

What is a phantom level combo ?

Yeah! And what do you mean by, “without raising phantom?”

English is not my mothertongue but I thought I’d understand a little bit… don’t get a freakin’ word of the slang here :laughing:

I think English is OP’s second language also… :wink:

I THINK what you’re saying is that your vocalist is overloading on level, specially on plosive ‘pops.’

Here are some ‘work ons and tricks of the trade’

Forget using 2 mics.

Get a good or at least half-decent condenser mic (plenty around for $150 or less) and a POP FILTER. *

Record at much lower level - peaks to -6dB is quite high enough.

If pops are still a problem, get the vocalist to aim SLIGHTLY to one side of the capsule (maybe 25mm or so), at a distance of about 100-150mm. I very much doubt you will get any more pops, but if you do they will be slight and can be dealt with by a steep high-pass filter, or use the bass roll-off on your mic preamp (if there is one)

Use a compressor to control the dynamics of the vocal during mixing.

• you’re right, some vocalists do use dynamic mics for vocals in the studio, I believe Bono for one. If that gets you the sound you want, use one.

Good luck

So phantom level combo = proximity effect, I guess.
But then again, sorry I give up.

As already mentioned a good quality condenser microphone, a good preamp, a pop shield and some common sense when setting up the input level. I usually set my level while the vocalist is having a practice run.

Also remember you can record loud passages on a different take from the quiet ones or the singer can move slightly nearer/further to or from the microphone.

If you must use a second mic, maybe for ambience use a second mono channel as you will need a different set up both when tracking and when mixing.
Sorry but two mic’s on one stereo channel is a no no.

If you are interested in vocal mixing there is always Pensados place.
http://www.pensadosplace.tv/2014/02/05/how-to-mix-vocals-that-cut-into-the-lair-95/