ADVANTAGES TO UPGRADING TO C5 ?

well thanks everyone for your in put , i think i’ll just stay with sx3 as there seems too be nothing to gain updating and yes wouldn’t it be nice if every company would conform and finally after all these years bring out a standard for sysex information ,iv’e long sold my elka mk88 to program sysex , well once again thank you all ,you have just saved me a few 100 squid so my jd800 and sx1000 will be well happy and now can be serviced !

old atari head

freq

I would read this article on Cubase 5. Steinberg Cubase 5 Cubase 4 added much improved effects, and 5 have better reverb, and their own version of meoldyne which is great. I left Cubase SX3 for Samplitude 10. I liked it better. But with the additional features in 5 including side chain capabilities, I am back and just love Cubase 5.

o’dear what have you started revelaion ,before today i think i must of been locked up in a time warp somewhere ,never heard of Melodyne editor ,but now ,what have you done to me lol , does the cubase vari audio do polyphonic cord rearranging the same as melodyne or is it going to be available in c6 as i am now very interested (for which my jd800 hates you ),the cubase variaudio seems like an interesting format ,half variphrase(r) half melodyne . i think you have just talked me in to buying melodyne instead of upgrading c5 lol. o’dear .

old atari head
freq

Hi freq

I think you are right that using SX3 with XP is a good idea, so do you have any issues with SP3?

hi bentley

i can fairly say iv’e had no issues with sp3, but i only update files i think are needed for other programs . all timing is spot on ,no midi drops or audio drops apart from my crap via chipset (waiting at this mo for texas chipset to be delivered),but everything runs smooth ,maybe in a lucky one ,this is why im in such pain about up dating to c5 , ive heard some of the wave plugins don’t work ,midi timing issues on xp ,importing sx cpr files ,BUT looking at the vari audio iv’e very tempered to sell my vp9000 and take the risk ,thats why i was asking about the midi as most of my work is in midi ,but sorry i strayed from the point , yer it runs sweet as a nut no issues at all (apart from the user )!

freq

No you haven’t strayed from the point, since that is what I mainly use cubase for MIDI but with a bit of a difference.

I went and bought a Roland sonic cell, after years of playing kurzweil keyboards thus require good timing since the SC allows you to record the moudule via USB 2.0.

I’ve had no problems using 5.5 on Vista 32 bit.

In fact I would say the experience over the years since using 4.5.2 and up has been one of constant improvement so kudos to steinberg in this regard.

You won’t be any worse off using a post XP era system, actually I’d say you will have even more facilities at your disposal if you are thinking of manipulating audio in the DAW, as Vista and W7 have many improvements to the audio engine that make it more reliable than times past but as a simple sequencer triggering outboard gear, SX3/XP is a good combination.

cheers bentley

i think im stuck in the past lol .time to think about upgrading to windows 7 and cubase 5 ,im just an old dog that hates new tricks lol .
good advice thou its well appreciated and i think seeing the demo’s on youtube for vari audio may of done it ,but the wave plugins could be an issue so will look in to it abit more first im a tortoise not a hare lol

all the best
freq

oh why oh why oh why did i join this forum :smiley:

ordered c5 upgrade , 2 last questions ,

1 is there any issues with xp and sp3 with upgrading to c5 that anyone know’s about ?

2 can i still run sx3 and if so would i need to use both dongles ?

any advice would much appreciated

thanks for talking this old grumpty atari head into parting with his cash !!

freq

I think you were just looking for an exuse to upgrade :laughing:

question 2:- yes SX3 and C5 will sit side by side and work off the one dongle.

Hey mate

I think maybe some testing was done with C5 on Xp, hard to be certain however.

I’ve got it loaded on a laptop and all I have to do is plug in the dongle but would you believe I have never actually used it (on xp that is) since Vista IMV kicks ass!

W7 may be better overall but the core fundamentals are more or less the same, greater stability and more complex management of audio devices and functions, as most of the calls to the hardware are executed from the user portion of the kernel rather than from within the kernel itself.

I posted a link in about page 5 I think of the C6 thread in the lounge, quite long but very interesting about the guys who actually developed the new audio “subsystem”.

Saying that I don’t think you will have too many problems, except to say that you may get the odd crash but that is no different to any other system except you have less chance for recovery but the trade-off is you need more resources so have you considered maybe updating your system as well?

GL

hi bentley yes i have been in major debate with myself today weather to install c5 on xp or go straight for windows 7 and do the whole lot in one hit , but i understand you can’t load sx3 on to 7 so there is another thing to think about lol i do have another 3 daw floating around but not as powerful as this old machine , ithink i’ll buy 7 but see how it goes with xp first ,if no joy then its welcome to 2011 for me at last lol

its the elastic audio thats really got me now ,means the vp9000 is out the window ,more space for another module and more updates :smiley: happy as a ram in a field of 30000 sheep ! !

cheers for your input and forcing my wallet open bentley , much appreciated

aaaahhhh after thought , if you can’t load sx3 on to 7 how do you upgrade to c5 then ?

freq

The main issue here is the license.

You can run SX3 on W7 but of course it’s not advisable due to compatibility issues around audio architecture.

When you purchase an upgrade, so long as you have the latest elicenser software installed it is a simple case of typing in the 16 digit code.

I never actually upgraded my SX3 as I had many projects at the time that I did not want to open in a later version and as well I opted to purchase the studio version, so I just bought it “again” as prices were quite reasonable at the time but now a C5 license will allow you to run older versions anyway.

Hope that helps

yer that’s cool im going to stay on xp and see what happens as i forgot steinberg have made the midex a disposable unit by not supporting in on win 7 so there is another issue but i’ll give it ago on xp im a little confused about the upgrading process and i need to upgrade some sort of framework to allow me to install the latest elicenser , but c5 is on the way !

no pain no gain

freq

anyone got any spare adult nappies ?

c5 arrives tomorrow , anyone need anything built iv’e got plenty of bricks !

a very excited atari head

freq