Advice for a long time keyboard-entry person

So, ever since the 1.0 days (and in Sib for years before that) I’ve strictly been a (computer) keyboard input kind of guy.

i’ve got basic keyboard skills, and even have an old 76 Yamaha in the room, but that thing is so old it barely supports midi, and then only via the old-school ports).

Long story short I have an M-Audio Keystation 49 on the way.

So, any tips? Any non-obvious settings I’m probably gonna want to twiddle?

I don’t think so. Is it literally just for note entry?

Maybe just check that your octave is set appropriately so you’re not having to change it too much (I’m sure it will be fine already).

Yeah, for note entry. Although having a pitch bend and and mod wheel, and 4 full octaves with at least some degree of dynamics… I bet I’m gonna have some fun with synth vsts and the like too.

Id like to have the option (as in Cubase and Studio One) to enable controller keyboard integration (like my Panorama T6) within Dorico. Someday😉

If you like noodling on the MIDI keyboard, but don’t want Dorico to be inputting whenever you touch it, you might consider using pitch-first input instead of duration-first. That way you can play on the keyboard as much as you want, then once you know what you want to input, hit the duration. Otherwise you have to keep starting and stopping the input caret, or else Dorico will be inputting any time you touch the keyboard.

2 Likes

That’s very interesting!

How cool would a little “Inivisibles” button be to pause note entry in duration-first.

I guess you could always hit K to switch to pitch-first, effectively pausing the duration-first input, then hit K again when you’re ready to resume duration-first input.

1 Like

Yeah that would be sensible. Forgot about that!

1 Like

I almost invariably have a piano Player in my working score, even if only for a non-printing reduction. I find that clicking on the piano staff and then clicking away (making sure the selection and caret are both gone) lets me noodle away until I am ready to enter notes.

In spite of coming from a Finale Pitch-Before-Duration workflow years ago, I find I do the opposite in Dorico and find my way of switching in and out of “nood;ing” quick and simple.

1 Like

Set the MIDI input delay compensation to a good value (50 ms works well for me, but it will depend on your setup) and use real-time recording to enter music quickly. You can have Dorico ignore your actual played timings and velocities so the resulting notes sound as if you had entered them manually. You can also slow down the tempo to help with faster or more complex parts.

1 Like

Hello,
Optimization the Midi input compensation :

1 Like