Advice on different types of text

See screenshot; I’m trying to enter this passage of piano music into Dorico.

I don’t know that I fully understand all the different types of text I can enter into Dorico, and what belongs as system text (opt-shift-X), stave text (shift-X), or other types.

What type of text would you recommend I use for the “la melodia ben marcata”, and what type for the “dolce”? I’m thinking “dolce” falls more into the category of expression, but how would I enter that?

Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 6.22.23 PM

If it was me, I’d just be entering plain text (shift-x) for any indications such as these. You can either alter the default text to italic or create your own Paragraph Style that you can select from the list. You can enter any or most paragraph styles as system text, like you mentioned.

1 Like

Given the positioning of text in the original, you could enter the “mp dolce” into the dynamics popover, with the “dolce” being a dynamic modifier, whose formatting is italics by default.

Since the “la melodia…” text is above the staff in the original, staff-attached or system-attached text (depending on how many parts would benefit from seeing this information) would make sense.

1 Like