Advice - program individual notes for instrument instances

Hello merry folk!

I would like some advice from any or all seasoned musicians/talented producers in this forum please about how I would go about programming tracks for software instruments whereby I can alter the volumes of specific notes, ie by using main volume (CC7) but have it only effect individual notes and not the entire “chord” or series of notes in play.

I know VST Expression can achieve this but I’m not sure if Steinberg or any third parties makes sound sets yet that conform to my requirements.

Cheerio, and peace kind people.

Very tight timing on a midi track?

Adjusting the velocity of each note?

Hi Shinta,

I’ve been programming strums with some success, as well as adjusting velocities and it does allow quite an amount of expression, however if I alter the volume of course it applies to all notes so I guess what I am wanting to know is, is there any feature in Cubase (any version) that can help in this area.

I believe lanes could be a solution but to know I’d have to purchase the latest version and as I am still currently trialling Elements I don’t even know if a default mode of Lanes will even apply.

Thanks for replying

When are you actually going to buy a full version of Cubase?

Anyway cc7 is main volume for the instrument (patch) so will in general always affect the whole… em, Instrument

Velocity is the one to tweak.

VST 3 instruments, included with later versions of Cubase, allow more control over individual notes via note expression.

Good to see someone knows their stuff.

Velocity won’t allow fade out’s as it is not a continuous controller

Hello,

You can use Note Expression. It’s the best solution, and unique in the DAW world.

Or, you can set your MIDI Output to Channel Any. It will sends MIDI data to different MIDI channels, which is affected by settings of any MIDI event. So you can set different MIDI channel for any note of the chord, than, you can create different automate of MIDI CC 7 to different MIDI channels.

But it’s better to divide chords to different channels and tracks. It’s more user firendly. You can watch them together in the Key Editor, so it looks like chord.

Again, the best solution is to use Note Expression. This is in the Cubase 6 only (not Artist, not previously versions).

If you don’t own the Cubase, and you would like to try this, you can use 30 days Trial version.

Btw: CC7 is not the right one CC. You should use CC10 (Expression). CC10 is lika mix fader. CC10 is like musician expression. In fact, in sound, it does the same, but… :slight_smile:

Best,

That sounds like a lot of work, although that might be just what I need to do.

But it’s better to divide chords to different channels and tracks. It’s more user firendly. You can watch them together in the Key Editor, so it looks like chord.

Tracks seems ok at first but then they aren’t in focus at the same time, can lanes help at all here?

Again, the best solution is to use Note Expression. This is in the Cubase 6 only (not Artist, not previously versions).

That’s the answer I needed besides all the technical details which you have outlined perfectly.

Btw: CC7 is not the right one CC. You should use CC10 (Expression). CC10 is lika mix fader. CC10 is like musician expression. In fact, in sound, it does the same, but…

I will look into this, at this time I am mainly getting the initial volumes correct when a part starts and as well throughout the piece. In CS5 I was starting to use MIDI fades but it was tedious trying to select many commands at once (C6 has fixed this beautifully) and velocities were nearly killing my inspiration.

Thank you kindly, you have put it all in the best possible perspective.

Yes, lots of work. And the effect is the same, you will use more tracks separately. You know, this play sounds really from the different channels. So you have to have the same instrument on more then one channel.

Yes, you can focus them at the same time. Open Key Editor, and select more tracks together. Or select more tracks first, then open the Key Editor. It will display all events in all track. You can deside, if you eant to edit just one track, or all together.

Btw: Lanes are displayed same as more tracks. So it will be the same, in fact. No, it will be worse. You can’t define diferent MIDI channels for any Lane. Just the same, as before – MIDI Output ANY MIDI channel, and send different channel from the different Lane. But this is lots of work too.

Try it yourself by Cubase 6 Trial version. :wink:

You are welcome!

Best,