Affinity Publisher for large DTP projects?

Apologies for this being a bit off topic, but I think this is a good place to ask.

So I’m considering Affinity Publisher, but before I download the trial and test it out, I’m wondering specifically how others have fared with extremely large projects (600+ pages) comprised almost entirely of linked pass-through PDFs (from Dorico, in my case).

I read something two years ago saying the project slows to a crawl in that scenario, but of course I know the project has been developed a good deal since then.

Does anyone have experience with large projects that could weigh in?

I just opened up an 866 page PDF in Publisher and I’m able to make edits and scroll around as easily as if it was a single page.

Granted I’m using a 16" M1 Pro MacBook Pro, but I can check on my old 2015 MacBook Pro.

3 Likes

Outstanding. That’s exactly the sort of report I was looking for, thanks. I’m running a Ryzen 5900x, so that’s pretty comparable to the M1 I think.

1 Like

Jackson, do you embed, or link? I guess embedding makes the document ridiculously huge.

I embed - the file size does get a fair bit larger. From an 11 MB PDF to a 40 MB afpub file. When you open a PDF with Publisher or Add Pages From File it’s always embedded, and now that I look into it I’m not sure if it’s possible to automatically place a multi-page PDF as a linked document, though it’s certainly been brought to the attention of the developers.

So that could be a deal breaker if you need to update the original PDF. It also doesn’t look like there’s any scripting functionality which I believe is how Indesign handles multi-page PDF placement?

And the results are in: 2015 MBP handles the same document just as easily.

1 Like

Ok, my use case is to place one PDF at a time (most hymns are one page), but I do update the Dorico files as I correct errors. InDesign updates the linked PDF automatically; it’s very much a “living document.” So I guess linking, not embedding, is the direction I’d want to go there.

Well that should be fine then, just did a test placing a single page PDF then updated the file in Dorico and when I switched back to Publisher I had a notification saying the document had been modified.

2 Likes

Thanks again. That’s good enough for me to take the plunge.

2 Likes

It certainly won’t break the bank to try, so at least there’s that comfort.

Indeed, a perpetual license for Publisher is less than double a one-month subscription to InDesign…

2 Likes