After Error saved project file is invalid.

Hi.

I have an old Nuendo project (maybe V2 of whatever we used back in 2002) that I wanted to remix. So I copied the project to my computer (Windows 10 1903 64-bit Nuendo 10.2.10) and started to add new plugins (no old was found) and mixed for a while. Then I decided to duplicate a track and the application presented an error and asked me to save the project under a new name. Then I just shut down the computer.

Today I decided to continue but could not open the project file. All I got was this error: Invalid project file “filename.npr” !

I also tried to open the file in Cubase 10 but it could not open Nuendo 10.2.10 files at all so I got Cubase 10.5 (well I needed to upgrade sometime so this was a good reason) but Cubase 10.5 could also not open Nuendo 10.2.10 files. Then I just started all over again and worked for a while. I saved a version every now and then just to have something to go back to if the same thing would happen again. Well it did. I forgot that duplicating this very track gave this error so I saved the project under a new name.

The problem now is that I can’t open the file saved about 10 min before the crash and also not the file saved after the crash. And this time I would really not like to start over a third time only to have this happen another time.

Is there a way to repair the npr file?

I also tried opening the project on my MacBook Pro with Nuendo 10.1.0. That did not go too well either. Nuendo quit unexpectedly with error “EXC_BAD_ACCESS” then trying to open the file.

I can recall having some corrupt project files over the years using Nuendo (from version 1.6-) and Cubase from the very first version on Atari but it was a long time ago now.

Did you have auto save on? Can you open a .bak file from earlier in the mix session?

If you had any audio files, check if they are now zero kbs.
If yes, there may be nothing else you can do.