After recording MIDI, I cant listen to it unless I enable to record that track

:rofl:
hehe, okay
:slight_smile:

I never use the Status Line and was basically trying to recreate the screenshot, so not familiar with how it behaves. But if thatā€™s how it works then it implies (or maybe not???) that something is wrong with the audio I/O routing.

@Maximo_Francisco can you repost your last screenshot except instead of selecting the Track that is playing audio select the one that isnā€™t working so we can see its Inspector. Also can you post an image of your
Studio Setup>MIDI Port Setup and make sure the Window is large enough to show all the MIDI Ports.

Do you use any virtual MIDI cables like LoopBe or LoopMIDI?

Here are the screenshots, thank you once again.

But so it gets clear: the only reason why the ā€œEpiano Stringsā€ track was playing back audio is because I had the record button turned on. If no track has the record button turned on, no track will playback.

I didnā€™t know what virtual MIDI was but I realised I have one installed. Its Tobias Erichsen. I had never installed that on my own so Cubase must have installed it by itself. I donā€™t know what it does or if I am even using it, but I have a Tobias Erichsen folder in my Programs Folder.

This couldnā€™t be something silly like the mix knob/settings on the Mbox being wrong could it?
Edit : Also, pretty certain that Tobias Erichsen folder is nothing to do with cubase.

A Virtual MIDI cable lets you route MIDI inside your PC (between 2 programs for example) similar to how a physical cable can connect MIDI Hardware together. If you had an old-style physical pre-USB MIDI interface and plugged one end of a cable into its MIDI Out and the other end into its MIDI In, that lets you route the MIDI Data from the Output back into the Input. This can also be done using Virtual Cables internal to your computer and is sometimes called LoopBack. As you might imagine when using these it can be easy to accidently route MIDI to places where you donā€™t want it to go. Especially if you include the Virtual Cable in All MIDI Inputs.

Tobias does make one of the more popular Virtual MIDI Cables called loopMIDI but it doesnā€™t appear to be installed on your computer or Iā€™d expect to see it listed in your MIDI Port Setup. This isnā€™t something Cubase would install.

What Iā€™m suspicious of is that the Track is never playing the MIDI Part which is on the Track. And when you enable Record on the Track it is receiving & playing MIDI Data from some other source. Try this:

1. Set a Loop with your Locators so that the Instrument is constantly playing when Record is Enabled.
  2. Then in the Trackā€™s Inspector change the Input from All MIDI Inputs to each of the available MIDI Sources one-by-one, including Not Connected
  3. Take note of which MIDI Sources cause or donā€™t cause the Instrument to play

Additionally to what raino suggests, I would try to use another ASIO driver.
Studio Setup ā†’ Audio System
There select one of the Steinberg generic drivers and test if that changes the playback behaviour.

Good news!

I tried Johnny advice and I changed the ASIO driver from ASIO Digidesign Driver MBox2 (which is the audio interface I have always used) to Generic Low latency Asio Driver.
NOW, IT WORKS! The sound is playedback when the record button is turned off. So thank you all!
The sound was coming from my PC speakers when I used the generic low latency driver but I changed the drivers options to redirect the sound to my MBox2 and now its working properly!

(I tried to do Rainoā€™s experiment and the MIDI track was playing even when I had not conected in MIDI inputs.)

Thank you all for the huge help!

Good to know.
I would like to encourage you to make one more adjustment.
There is a better alternative to the Generic Low Latency Asio Driver, and that is ASIO4All. It is free of charge.
https://www.asio4all.org/
Kindly download version 2.15, install it, then start Cubase and change the ASIO driver.

In general it is better to use ASIO drivers designed for specific hardware (when they exist) than generic drivers. Plus the Digidesign driver should work so this suggests that it was misconfigured in some manner. After the dust settles it would probably be worthwhile to reexamine how it is setup.

Hardware specific drivers typically can provide lower latency (the delay from when you talk into a mic and hear it come out of the speaker from Cubase) than the generic drivers. Iā€™d also second @Johnny_Moneto 's recommendation of ASIO4ALL.

1 Like

All right thanks! Will do that!