Again_au fails to compile

Xcode 12.4 and Xcode 12.2, VST SDK 3.7:
Suddenly I cannot longer compile again_au or any other AU wrapper.

PhaseScriptExecution CMake\ PostBuild\ Rules /Users/markuskrause/VST_SDK_3.7/build/public.sdk/source/vst/auwrapper/again/vstsdk.build/Debug/again_au.build/Script-45B8A0C2C8D3442685735112.sh (in target ‘again_au’ from project ‘vstsdk’)
cd /Users/markuskrause/VST_SDK_3.7/VST3_SDK
/bin/sh -c /Users/markuskrause/VST_SDK_3.7/build/public.sdk/source/vst/auwrapper/again/vstsdk.build/Debug/again_au.build/Script-45B8A0C2C8D3442685735112.sh

/Users/markuskrause/VST_SDK_3.7/build/VST3/Debug/again_au.component/Contents/Resources/plugin.vst3 → /Users/markuskrause/VST_SDK_3.7/build/VST3/Debug/again.vst3
/Users/markuskrause/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components//again_au.component → /Users/markuskrause/VST_SDK_3.7/build/VST3/Debug/again_au.component
failed to find AudioUnit/AudioUnit.r
/Users/markuskrause/VST_SDK_3.7/VST3_SDK/public.sdk/source/vst/auwrapper/again/…/auresource.r:37: ### Rez - kCFHostErrorUnknown / kCFStreamErrorSOCKS4SubDomainResponse / kCFStreamErrorSOCKS5BadState / kCFStreamErrorDomainMacOSStatus / siInitVBLQsErr / dsAddressErr / scCommErr / ENOENT (2) during open of “AudioUnit/AudioUnit.r”.
Fatal Error!
/Users/markuskrause/VST_SDK_3.7/VST3_SDK/public.sdk/source/vst/auwrapper/again/…/auresource.r:37: ### Rez - Fatal Error, can’t recover.
/Users/markuskrause/VST_SDK_3.7/VST3_SDK/public.sdk/source/vst/auwrapper/again/…/auresource.r: ### Rez - Since errors occurred, /Users/markuskrause/VST_SDK_3.7/build/VST3/Debug/again_au.component/Contents/Resources/again_au.rsrc’s resource fork was not completely updated.
Command PhaseScriptExecution failed with a nonzero exit code

The problem seems to affect also Juce:

I’ve seen these as well, independent of the VST3 SDK. It seems like Apple has finally abandoned Audio Unit v1 for good. However, all machines that can run the “new” libc++ (10.9 and later) used in the current SDKs also rely on Audio Unit v2 so it should be save to simply remove all the obsolete rez stuff.
I’ve done that for JUCE here:

I messed around for another 2 days and still couldn’t make the AUwrapper work. We get a massive number of customers requesting an AU version.
It would be nice if Steinberg could offer some help and take a look at it, since it is clearly a problem of the VST SDK that affects many developers

Maybe I’m missing one step, but I can successfully build the again_au target on macOS 11 on M1 and it runs perfectly at least in Garageband (both the Rosetta translated one and the native one).
Did you by any chance use another SDK than the one included in Xcode? That would explain your issue.

Still can’t compile the AU example on MacOS 11. :slightly_frowning_face:

I am also not sure where to get the right CoreAudio SDK. Where can I get it? And what is the correct version?
So far I placed an (old?) CoreAudio directory next to the my_plugins and VST3_SDK directory. This allows to compile, but it fails with the above error on the postbuild script.

By examining CMakeLists.txt from the again_au example I’ve noticed invalid paths. /System/Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework/Versions/A/Headers/
does not longer exist since MacOS 10.15.
Maybe the correct path is
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework/Headers
?

Sorry to say this, but the VST3 SDK is the most frustrating experience I ever had in beeing a software developer since 25 years :frowning_face:

I’ve just noticed you released VST SDK 3.7.2

• Plug-in Wrappers:
    • AAX Wrapper
      • Fix Export Symbols for AAX on macOS
    • Audio Unit v2
      *** Fix AUv2 with Xcode 12**

What exactly was fixed? How was it fixed? Does it solve the above issue?
Please note that we devs can’t migrate our stuff to a new SDK every 6 months

There was no real fix, we just checked if we can use Xcode 12 to build AUv2. We should not have mentioned that in the release notes I guess.
If you think that you have an old CoreAUDIO SDK, then you should update to the latest and see if it fixes your issue.

Where is the latest CoreAudio SDK? I can download some 2014 version from hidden link on Apple website

That could be the latest. Apple is also fading away from AUv2 and makes it harder from year to year to find it. But only the CoreAudio team knows what the latest is and you should ask them.

Still the same error. Again AUv2 doesn’t compile. VST SDK 3.7. Big Sur. ‘Latest’ CoreAudio SDK from 2014.

Showing Recent Messages

PhaseScriptExecution CMake\ PostBuild\ Rules /Users/markuskrause/VST_SDK_3.7/build/public.sdk/source/vst/auwrapper/again/vstsdk.build/Debug/again_au.build/Script-45B8A0C2C8D3442685735112.sh (in target ‘again_au’ from project ‘vstsdk’)

cd /Users/markuskrause/VST_SDK_3.7/VST3_SDK

/bin/sh -c /Users/markuskrause/VST_SDK_3.7/build/public.sdk/source/vst/auwrapper/again/vstsdk.build/Debug/again_au.build/Script-45B8A0C2C8D3442685735112.sh

/Users/markuskrause/VST_SDK_3.7/build/VST3/Debug/again_au.component/Contents/Resources/plugin.vst3 → /Users/markuskrause/VST_SDK_3.7/build/VST3/Debug/again.vst3

/Users/markuskrause/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components//again_au.component → /Users/markuskrause/VST_SDK_3.7/build/VST3/Debug/again_au.component

failed to find AudioUnit/AudioUnit.r

/Users/markuskrause/VST_SDK_3.7/VST3_SDK/public.sdk/source/vst/auwrapper/again/…/auresource.r:37: ### Rez - kCFHostErrorUnknown / kCFStreamErrorSOCKS4SubDomainResponse / kCFStreamErrorSOCKS5BadState / kCFStreamErrorDomainMacOSStatus / siInitVBLQsErr / dsAddressErr / scCommErr / ENOENT (2) during open of “AudioUnit/AudioUnit.r”.

Fatal Error!

/Users/markuskrause/VST_SDK_3.7/VST3_SDK/public.sdk/source/vst/auwrapper/again/…/auresource.r:37: ### Rez - Fatal Error, can’t recover.

/Users/markuskrause/VST_SDK_3.7/VST3_SDK/public.sdk/source/vst/auwrapper/again/…/auresource.r: ### Rez - Since errors occurred, /Users/markuskrause/VST_SDK_3.7/build/VST3/Debug/again_au.component/Contents/Resources/again_au.rsrc’s resource fork was not completely updated.

Command PhaseScriptExecution failed with a nonzero exit code

Hi MarkusK1, I’m just facing the same problem. Did you solve it in between?

15 months later I was able to fix the issue by accident. You need to add some libraries to the project. I think one of them was the accelerate framework and there was another one. I do not remember exactly which ones it was, but can take a look.
This was highly annoying for me my company, since I was forced to sell the plugin without AudioUnit support and lost sales.