Again Missing Presets Question

Hello,

I realize that Steinberg does so many things right especially very complicated features.
I read some of the Presets missing in Cubase 7 threads. They are locked so here I am on a new thread.

If you are missing “logical presets” or MIDI plugin presets" the solution is to copy the presets manually from:
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 7\Presets
to
C:\Users[YourUsername]\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 7_64\Presets

A. Does this mean copy ALL the files in the Presets folder to the new location?
At

B. I already had a few folders and files in this location. What do I do with them? Delete them?

C. Here I also have a folder Project Logical Editor but this folder with different content is also at
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 7\Presets
Do I merge the Project Logical Editor files at

Spent over an hour on this when I could have been making music.

Indeed, Cubase presets management is as convoluted as can be and sadly, Mediabay usage is mandatory for Steiny plug-ins presets as you need to go into it to scan all their relevent locations. So, after having done this, and if some presets are truely missing :

A : Yes, you should take all the Program Files.…\Presets folder content as a whole, including its subfolders, BUT…

B : … TAKE CARE FIRST OF WHAT IS EXISTING IN THE Users.…\presets ONE ! Otherwise, you’ll loose all your personal work not only with Steiny plug-ins, but also with some essential Cubase features, such as key commands, project logical editor, Input transformer, and so on… So, backup carefully what is already existing here in order to be able to add again what you already made in it.

C : See above…

• First, carefully backup all what is already in Users.…\presets folder,
  • Second, delete all its content and do the replacement with the Program Files.…\Presets one,
  • Third, re-add from your backup to your Users.…\presets folder all your personal files, and only these, at their relevent place.

And don’t forget to make a rescan in Mediabay. Tedious, but mandatory… If you use vstpresets with third-party plug-ins, they are in another folder : C:\Users<username>\Documents\VST3 Presets.

Thanks for the help cubic13,

A bigger headache that I expected. Another mess I got myself in.

I have never used the MediaBay before and don’t even know what it is and even have a hard time spelling it and pronouncing it. So now I must devote time to learning how to use it. Looks however like it can be very useful.

I just few days ago installed Cubase 7 and do not have any of my own presets saved.

I did A and B. I did not use MediaBay. I used Windows Explorer

C : Still not sure what to do with both folders Project Logical Editor. Should copy and paste the folders and files from
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 7\Presets\ Project Logical Editor
To the existing Project Logical Editor in
C:\Users[YourUsername]\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 7_64\Presets\ Project Logical Editor

Besides the folders Project Logical Editor there is also a duplicate called RAMPresets.xml the files are different size.

Not sure what to do what C:\Users<username>\Documents\VST3 Presets.

I also use Windows Explorer to make all the copy/backup tasks. Mediabay has to be used only once all is setted as it should. So :

• About the two project logical editor folders, just compare the contents of both of them and, if you made A and B already, you only have to add again from your backup the eventual custom presets that you made with it in C:\Users[YourUsername]\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 7_64\Presets\ Project Logical Editor.

• RAMPresets.xml contains a lot of miscellaneous settings not necessarily presets related. Keep the most recent one.

• About the C:\Users<username>\Documents\VST3 Presets folder : don’t do anything with it. I evoqued it just as an information, as the vstpresets made from third party plug-ins aren’t stored in the same place as Steiny ones, so you don’t have to bother about it.

At the end, launch Mediabay to rescan all the relevent locations (be sure that your C:\Users[YourUsername]\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 7_64\Presets folder is one of them) : again, it’s mandatory to be sure that all presets will be known and retrievable by Cubase. There is a whole chapter about it in the manual which explains how it works.

This is very embarrassing :blush: (perhaps). I followed your instructions to save all so that I can return to the original state if need be. Well somehow I may have deleted (not in Recycle bin) the

C:\Users[YourUsername]\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 7_64\Presets\ Project Logical Editor
folder. I recall it was different than the

C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 7\Presets\ Project Logical Editor

Folder.

Could they have had the identical files and I just made a mistake?

I asked a friend with a newly installed Cubase 7 and his
Had no Project Logical Editor. I believe he said there were only 4 files in the folder.
And yes he has no presets on any of the included Cubase stuff. He was oblivious to the fact.

Can you send me an image of what the
Looks like I really would appreciate it. :smiley:

And yes I must learn how to use the MediaBay. :bulb:

the question is : do you remember making custom presets with the project logical editor or edited factory ones ? if not, there’s no need to worry about what was in the C:\Users.…\Project Logical Editor folder, even if you lost it. Just copy in it what is in the C:\Program Files.…\Project Logical Editor one.

The only differences between the two could com either if you created preset(s) of your own or you modified factory preset(s), saving it/them under the same name (not recommended, but well…). If you didn’t created or modified presets with the PLE, both folders should have exactly the same contents.

FWIW, the C:\Program Files.…\Project Logical Editor has 4 subfolders and 1 file (Init.xml). The 4 folders are the following :

• ‘Examples’ → 7 files
  • ‘Naming’ → 2 files
  • ‘Parts + Events’ → 16 files
  • ‘Tracks’ → 9 files

Hope you’ll get it sorted.

Cubic13,

Folders and files are exactly as you stated.
So all sorted out now.

Thanks very very much. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: