Aggregate devices and I/O -- not quite working

It does not appear that you are familiar with MOTU’s AVB product line.

Like you?

You have to configure it first… it’s not plug and play.

AVB is directly supported by apple itself and it worked for us already on iMac 2012 and yes, it works with one device too.

I know.
But it is not supported on all the Macs available in the past. It needs a compatible NIC.

This question was directed to gesslr… if he successfully tested it with just one device.

I would definitely not mix TB and AVB. If you have a switch, I would connect all the Motu through it and do the aggregation on the computer. It is possible that the connection via TB has an effect on the streams, which then do not pass. In addition, you will needlessly pay for the TB port.

From the beginning, I only used it with one device, the Motu 1248. Just look in the network card settings, where there must be a check mark for AVB/EAV mode

I would definitely not mix TB and AVB. If you have a switch, I would connect all the Motu through it and do the aggregation on the computer. It is possible that the connection via TB has an effect on the streams, which then do not pass. In addition, you will needlessly pay for the TB port.

Thank you very much. I will try this.

…Just look in the network card settings, where there must be a check mark for AVB/EAV mode

OK. Then there is definitely something I am missing as I don’t understand the above as I have no “Network Card Settings” that I know of. (I am assuming you are not talking about the AVB Configuration settings for the interfaces in Pro Audio Control.)

I’ve basically followed the instructions from MOTU in these two documents. (The second one has been superseded somewhat by my use of a MOTU AVB switch.)

Thank you. You’ve given me much to consider. I’ll eventually sort this AVB thing out.

But…this thread is about Aggregate Devices and I don’t want to hijack my own thread. (Is that even possible? :slightly_smiling_face: )

If you have an issue with the aggregated device and AVB would be the solution… so why not using it…

I’d put pictures here but I can’t… System Preferences/Network/Advanced/Hardware and at the bottom last is a check mark for AVB/EAV

1 Like

Got it.

Yes, that box is checked. The rest are as follows:

Configure: Automatically
Speed: 1000baseT
Duplex: full duplex, flow-control
MTU: Standard (1500)
AVB/EAV Mode: Checked

Thank you very much for your time and assistance. I really appreciate it.