Aggregated device distortion/no sound

I have problems with an aggregated device (Scarlett+Helix) that is working with all other audio programs (Halion, Cubase, Wavelab, Logic, S1).
Both audio works as standalone (both 44.1 kHz)
The aggregated device make no sound.
If I make a new aggregated device with another name then there is sound but the sound is distorted.
(Besides the channel names are not recognized, but this is perhaps cosmetic)

I searched in forum and there the typical answer is “aggregated device not supported!”.
But it worked all the years and for different applications.

Is there a solution?
iMac ultimo 2014, Big Sur 11.6.2, Scarlett 18i20, Helix Rack

If it works in Cubase it shall equally work in Dorico. Can you please do in Dorico ‘Help > Create Diagnostics Report’ and post the corresponding zip file here? Thanks.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (2.7 MB)

Thanks for the data. It’s really weird that it works in other apps (esp. Cubase) but not in Dorico, because the Dorico audio engine has 99% the same genes as Cubase. But still, in the audio engine log I can see tons of ‘overload detected’ messages when you select the aggregated device.
Could you please try with a higher buffer size? Currently you are at 256. Also, try to change the sample rate to 48kHz and then back to 44.1kHz, after that is it still the same?
May I also ask you for what purpose you need in Dorico an aggregated device with 28 output ports? Thanks

I tried already with different buffer size.
I also tried with another sample frequency (48000), I tried deinstalling all driver for Helix and Scarlett and reinstall because first I did assume it was a general problem.
But then I realized that all other programs (all Steinberg ones as Cubase, Wavelab, Halion, GrooveAgent and Spectrasonics, Logic, Studio1 , etc.) had no problems with the aggregated device.
Then I tried with Dorico 3.5 and found the same error.

Then I remembered that for Dorico I used to switch for only Scarlett as my output device. So it seems that in Dorico it’s independent from version (3.5…4).
I tried to build an aggregated device (Dorico) with my 2 devices after Dorico installation and then I heard at least a distorted sound. With distorted sound I checked all clock settings that was possible but
the distortion didn’t vanish. They are connect by clock cable. I also checked different buffer sizes and sample frequencies but it didn’t help.
But I couldn’t repeat this. After a rebooting both aggregated devices (the first and my new Dorico) have no sound at all.

Dorico is the only program that doesn’t recognize my aggregated device.

I mainly use this for recording (Scarlett outputs for several monitor setups, Helix for guitar recording with effects and dry signals and reamping).
Only for Dorico I switch to just Scarlett because for Dorico I just need output.

It’s not a deal breaker but as you said: it’s weird.
I think there must be a big difference to all these other programs in talking to the API.

It’s an old iMac under BigSur but that should not make a difference because all other programs have not the slightest problem with this aggregated device.

11.6.3 (20G415),4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7,16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Mikrofon (integriert):

Eingabekanäle: 2
Hersteller: Apple Inc.
Aktuelle SampleRate: 44100
Transport: Integriert
Eingangsquelle: Internes Mikrofon

Ausgang (integriert):

Standard-Systemausgabegerät: Ja
Ausgangskanäle: 2
Transport: Integriert
Ausgangsquelle: Interne Lautsprecher

Scarlett 18i20 USB:

Eingabekanäle: 18
Hersteller: Focusrite
Ausgangskanäle: 20
Transport: USB
Eingangsquelle: Standard
Ausgangsquelle: Standard

Line 6 Helix Rack:

Eingabekanäle: 8
Hersteller: Line 6
Ausgangskanäle: 8
Transport: USB

Scarlett+Helix:

Standardeingabegerät: Ja
Standardausgabegerät: Ja
Eingabekanäle: 26
Ausgangskanäle: 28
Transport: Unbekannt

Dorico:

Eingabekanäle: 26
Ausgangskanäle: 28
Transport: Unbekannt

Though it is not a big deal for you, but it bothers me and I would like to find out more about it.
First thing I’d like you to do is, switch off ASIO-Guard. In Dorico 4 you can do that via the Preferences dialog. In there, go to the Play tab and scroll all the way down, it under the Advanced Options. After applying the change make sure to restart Dorico. After that, how is it behaving then? Thanks for your effort.

Had no effect.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (2.68 MB)

Hm, very strange.
Well, it sounds stupid, but could you try with a smaller buffer size? You are currently at 1024, what if you go to 512 or 256? Does that change anything?