Aleatoric boxes font

I updated AleBoxes so you can now make basic lines:

Thin line: 1 or 2, arrow is @
Medium-thin line: 3, ending bar is 4, arrow is $
Medium line: 5, ending bar is 6, arrow is ^
Thick line: 7, ending bar is 8, arrow is *
Thickest line: 9, ending bar is 0, arrow is )

Thin wavy line: colon, ending bar is 6
Thick wavy line: semicolon, ending bar is 0

The key combinations make sense on an English keyboard. These lines aren’t centered on any particular boxes; if you want them centered, you’ll need to change their baselines manually.

I’d be interested to know which lines and caps users prefer.

6 Likes

Thank you! It takes a while to find the right sizes and offsets, but at least it’s one solid object after everything is finished!

I think I tried everything, and it worked well also with a skandinavian keyboard. Instead of a dollar sign, “€” seemed to work (funnily enough).

I think this is very useful tool until native support is added for aleatoric boxes (perhaps even with some innovative playback? :slight_smile:)

…and the size will dynamically vary depending on the exchange rates! :slight_smile:

(Thank you very much for this great work, Dan!)

Paolo

3 Likes

Thank you @dan_kreider for doing this!! I just downloaded it and read the instructions, but I’m unsure how to use it. Do I need to put it in a specific place in my computer? and how do I actually make it appear in dorico? Sorry for the newbie questions!

Install it as a regular text font. :slight_smile:

Haha that was easy! Thank you :slight_smile:

I’m also wondering if anyone here has tried this method and what you prefer? Aleatoric Boxes in Dorico 3.5 - YouTube

There are advantages to both. Both are staff-attached, so they move as the staff moves. John’s endpoint is also attached to a rhythmic position, so it’s less likely to get messed up if note spacing changes. But mine is a little simpler to create overall.

Honestly I’d rate them about the same: a decent solution, but still a workaround.

Yes, I’m enjoying how yours is much simpler and less fussy to create, so thank you! But I do like that the endpoint in John’s method changes with the rhythmic position. So I agree that they both have pros and cons. I’m very much looking forward to this being a built-in feature one day (hopefully)!

1 Like

This is AMAZING!! Thank you!

1 Like