Aligning (cross)fades and event lengths on split tracks

When I receive an AAF from an editor there are often stereo audiofiles that have been split into two mono tracks (for example music underscores). Sometimes the editor has added fades, but they may be different in length on the left and right track. Also, sometimes the lengths of the events are not exactly aligned. Therefore, when I want to convert the two mono files into a stereo file I get the message that this cannot be done. (see screenshot).

I can correct this by manually aligning the fades and / or event lengths. But with large projects it takes a long time to check every event for correct alignment.

Is there a way to (auto) align fades and event lengths? Or would it be possible to create a macro or PLE for this? If not, could this be a new function in upcoming updates?
Schermafbeelding 2019-12-03 om 12.58.45.png

And/or give the user the option ro ignore (tiny and unhearable) missmatches and proceed anyway.

Would that make sense? (Might be faster/easier to implement.)

best regards,
Johannes

That would also be nice. I always wondered why Nuendo doesn’t allow non-matching mono tracks to be merged into a stereo track. ProTools allows you to simply drag two mono clips onto a stereo track.

It would be very convenient if a report was generated telling you WHERE fades or events don’t align. For example “Event fades are not aligned at: (event name) on: (track name) at: (timecode location)”. Surely it wouldn’t be so hard to implement such a feature?

The problem is that since you can’t do anything about it post channel merge than how would you deal with it?

Personally I’d prefer a option saying the two tracks d not match, do you still want to merge? Do you want to adjust the other tracks based on track n?

I agree with Erik… of course.

You could always reverse the proces by converting the stereo (multichannel) track back to two mono tracks.

Personally I’d prefer a option saying the two tracks d not match, do you still want to merge? Do you want to adjust the other tracks based on track n?

If there was a message telling you where the mismatch was you’d be able to fix it manually. That would save a lot of time checking every event and fade in a track. But adjusting one track based on the other track would be a nice feature too.

I agree with Erik too. I even think that a change of the audio engine so that we can (maybe by holding several keys) explode or assemble clips according to the number of channels of the target track would be a incredible time savings.