Aligning measures horizontally

By chance, a friend posted this somewhere else. Eh, wha’cha gonna do…?

8 Likes

Any advice on how to get these measures equally spaced?
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 12.38.20 PM
I see from our conversation above that there’s no way to get Dorico to do this automatically (no matter how much I want that feature!) but how can I do this by dragging handles? If I drag one handle horizontally, it compresses and/or expands all other measures in the system. Is there some place I should start dragging such that I can set one measure before adjusting the next? It feels a little like whack-a-mole here.

As you’ve seen it is hopeless to try to achieve linear spacing by manual adjustments.

I recommend you write constant running eighth notes in an additional voice and hide them. (In engrave mode you can find Hide stem and Hide notehead in Properties.)

3 Likes

Or whatever the smallest note value used in that system is. In this case, half notes work fine:

3 Likes

You can make the answer key, then Save As and hide notes as necessary; then your spacing will look the same as your answer key.

1 Like

If I were making an answer key, that would be a great idea! But I’ll be grading on the fly, so to speak. :slightly_smiling_face:

Will this be printed out for the students?

Yes it will.