All previous files locked! Cubase 8

Hi,

I have recently reinstalled yosemite (OS X 10.10) on my computer and upon loading Cubase, when I load in any of my old projects, they are locked so I can’t click anywhere in the window.

You can operate the menus, and the main window of Cubase, open new files for example, which work perfectly, but the second the old projects are re-activated, they become unclickable again. Everything including the window minimise and maximise buttons.

Does anyone know what this might relate to? Permissions or the like, or do I need to raise it as a bug?

Thanks a lot :mrgreen:

I have a second dive that I use as a sandbox to try these inevitable OS X updates on.

It’s got 10.10 installed, and Cubase 8 simply won’t open on it. So you’re doing a bit better than me (but not much).

Haha, that’s just made me laugh - which is all I can do at this stage, as after 4 days of diagnosis I’m looking to have to scrap my 17inch i7 Quad Core Early 2011 Macbook Pro due to fan noise with extremely low CPU (pre-even opening Cubase) that simply isn’t acceptable, let alone in a music studio! Currently working out which part of the house to re-mortgage! Sad, but true, looks like that generation of pro’s were a bit of a failure for apple. (mbp2011.com)

Good luck getting yours sorted, if it helps, mine was working fine in 10.10 pre the re-install.

I have a second drive that I use as a sandbox to try these inevitable OS X updates on.

It’s got 10.10 installed, and Cubase 8 simply won’t open on it. So you’re doing a bit better than me (but not much).

Yeah, you mentioned :laughing:

Good news, I have spent the 5th day of diagnosing my Mac clearing taking it apart (excellent article here MacBook Pro 17" Unibody Logic Board Replacement - iFixit Repair Guide).

And this was the problem with the cooling!

Currently in testing, but I’m confident this has fixed it. Genuinely can’t believe it as it’s only 3 years old, but seriously I mention if for a reason for any of you are suffering with fan noise on a MacBook, this is what to do, and even if you aren’t yet, as a pre-emptive measure I recommend to all MacBook Pro Cubase users. All I got was a set of Draper Torx Drivers from Toolstation and a can of compressed air for the cleaning. Best tenner I’ve ever spent!

Anyhow, as I disconnected every cable going from the MacBook Pro Logic Board including the battery this issue has gone away now, so assuming it doesn’t come back, this is one fix! But in case it’s of interest Steinberg, this was the behaviour that was exhibited on my machine.

:mrgreen:

Actually no this is still happening. :confused: Shall report to Steinberg direct unless anyone has any advice. Cheers.

Yeah CB8 doesn’t work for me in 10.10.1 only in 32 bit mode I had a couple sessions with one of their tech support people and they couldn’t get it to work. Strange thing is that opens with command option shift on boot for safe mode but if I manually delete my preferences that doesn’t solve anything.

I may try 32bit and see if it helps, although I may have isolated the issue to the latest Beta version of Virus Control (5.1.1.0) for my Virus TI. In my non-extensive testing so far, the old projects loaded fine (and were clickable / usable) when the TI was switched off.

Tried the prefs thing too but it didn’t help. Shall roll back to 5.0.3 and hopefully shall be sorted. Shall report to Access Music just in case.