Allow Multiple Cubase Instances

Hello!

Please add an option to disable the single-instance restriction of Cubase.
This would save so much time when switching between different projects without the need for un- and reloading the project.
I know there are some limitations because of ASIO, but there are ASIO drivers / audio interfaces out there that can handle more than one ASIO applications as long as the sample rate fits.

Best, Ben

Well you can run 2 different versions like 9.0 & 9.5 in parallel. I think if you make a copy of Cubase9.5.exe and rename it something different like Cubase9.5A.exe those two can be run at the same time.

Thank you for your ideas! I tried to make a copy of the cubase.exe, and it worked, but the second instance won’t play anything. And I do not want to install an old version of cubase…
My interface can handle multi-ASIO setups (RME UFX II).

Humm, I use an RME interface & it worked for me. If I recall correctly (always iffy) I could even play both at the same time. There is a Preference to release the audio driver…?

Release in background didn’t work for me as I wanted, but after some troubleshooting I found out that there was a VSL MIR Plugin in the Insert chain and it has a problem with more than one MIR Pro Server instance → No sound. After bypassing, music starts playing.
I will look into it on how to fix the MIR problem.

Thank you for your help!

Glad you figured it out.

9.0.x and 9.5.x have totally different sets of preferences.

If you’re running two 9.0.x or two 9.5.x, that may cause undesirable/unpredictable issues if they are fighting to read/write the same preference files. Just make sure you backup your prefs folder.

Thank you for your concerns. I am well aware that this is an suboptimal solution and I’d rather prefere an official way to achieve this.
@Steinberg: Maybe in the next big update? :wink:

I assume the more elegant/stable solution would be to allow for multiple projects to be activated within the same instance of Cubase, but I am sure there are many challenges on the road to making that happen in the codebase.

My belief is that this would require a re-tooling of the ASIO standard… and thus new cards.

Not even sure: who else besides RME provides for running independent audio processes?

Things were ever so much easier back when SB could promote (and determine) standards. :smiley: