Allowing two sound sources while Dorico is running?

While Dorico is running (but not playing), I’d like to be able to listen to an mp3 playback from another sound source, say Windows Media Player or Audacity. At present this isn’t possible. As it is now, Dorico takes exclusive control of the computer’s sound while it’s running. I notice that under Setup Mode/Edit/Device Setup, if Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver is selected, the default Card Option “Allow ASIO host application to take exclusive control of selected port configuration.” is checked. I’m reluctant to uncheck this for fear of messing up the sound system, so I’d appreciate some knowledgeable advice.

If I uncheck this, can I have playbacks from two different applications (not necessary to be simultaneous)? (I notice that if ASIO4ALL is checked, this option isn’t shown.) Has anyone had experience with turning this option off and on while Dorico is running? Is it safe to do?

–N

You can safely uncheck that option.

Thanks, Daniel. But unfortunately, when the “exclusive” option is unchecked, Dorico doesn’t playback. The other sound sources do then play while Dorico is running, but not Dorico. And when “exclusive” is checked, Dorico plays, but not the other sources (Windows Media Player and Audacity). Also, when the “exclusive” setting is changed in Dorico, it’s necessary to restart it for the change to take effect in Dorico itself, which is a bit inconvenient. In short, it seems that Dorico will play only when it has exclusive control of the sound output. I guess I’ll just have to live with that.

–N

Daniel, I just noticed your bringing the sound playback video to our attention. I’ll certainly give it a look.

–N

normberk, that’s not the expected behavior. It works for me.

Dan,

“It works for me.” …but NOT for ME. I’ve followed the procedure several times without success (including the instructions in the video): when I uncheck “exclusive” I get no playback sound at all. In fact, just a few minutes ago, when I tried it again (with the same negative effect) I couldn’t recheck the ''exclusive" box–closing the box UNdid the check every time (so no sound)–even after quitting Dorico and reopening it.

Fortunately, I was able to switch to my ASIO4ALL driver, which autmatically takes over exclusive control. Then I was able to switch back to the generic driver, which had the “exclusive” option already checked.

In short, for me this “exclusive” business is a mess, even though I have a very simple system. (Maybe that’s the problem.) Evidently your computer has more sound flexibility than mine. And given today’s problem just referred to, I’m really squirrelly about messing with it any more. I’ll hope that a future version of Dorico will work better for me, “exclusive”-wise.

–N

Unfortunately there’s not a lot we can do to change Dorico in this regard to make it work more satisfactorily on your system, Norm. I don’t know whether it is an option for you to consider the use of an external sound source, such as a USB audio interface? I know that this obviously involves additional expense, but it’s generally speaking the best way to avoid the problems caused by wonky drivers for cheap sound chips in Windows computers. (Another, considerably more expensive option, would be to buy a Mac!)

On the other hand, if you have the ASIO4All driver and that is working fine with you, then there is no reason why you shouldn’t use it. The Generic Low Latency Driver is provided by Steinberg just as a means to easily “take off”, but it does not claim to be the best or ‘use only’ driver for Dorico. So whatever works for you is fine.

Thank everyone,
I’m a new user and had the same problem. I fixed it like you wrote, i.e when I want to use dorico I setup the asio4all driver and when I want to use another application I select the Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver. And for doing it quickly I added a key command to device setup.

I had the same problem before and have solved it now. Te problem is that your soundcard only allows one ASIO-stream.
There are two solutions for this:

1. There are a couple of free apps that creates an extra port so you can run multiple ASIO streams. (Google for multiclient ASIO)
  2. Buy a soundcard that can manage multiple ASIO-streams. (E.g. RME Babyface pro or UAD Apollo twin duo )

I’m using the Babyface and it works as lika a charm. I can run as many apps as I want.