Alternative strategies for bar repeats?

Hello

Since the measure repeat symbol / feature is not there yet (I am convinced it will be wonderfully implemented eventually),
I was wondering if, among all the user base so far, someone had a good strategy to fake those for repetitive-minimalist music?

I’m engraving a huge ensemble score for a friend who is a composer/DJ, which includes tons of repeated patterns everywhere,
and I’d like to find an optimal way to minimize the space they take in the score before adding the symbol with bravura.

Possibly I would like to do this for parts without messing with the full score, and without extracting parts in a separate project.
The score is about 50 minutes of music, and any little correction might be very time consuming in that case… but I’m prepared to do it
if there’s no workaround.

Any advice/trick/hack is highly welcome !
Thanks in advance

Julien

Any idea folks?

The only work-around that exists (to my knowledge) would be to use the text tool, and copy the glyph form the SMuFL website. However, this will be extremely tedious.

I don’t believe there is a good way as of now.

Robby

Doh! That’s a bummer! I just bought Dorico 1.2 and I sure expected a simple symbol as this one would be implemented after well over a year on the market!!
I absolutly need a fast way to work with this symbol…
Please Steinberg do something about that!

Is the measure symbol such a simple matter?
Are you thinking this would simply be a staff-style overlay of already written music as in Finale?
What if the Dorico Team were looking at a way to make the symbol automatically repeat the music of the prior measure without the user entering it? Would that not make the enhanced task more than just a simple symbol overlay.

The same would apply to slashes: depending whether they were merely symbols or had playback implications would radically change how simple implementing them would be.

Since we don’t know (and I certainly don’t) what the Dorico Team has in store, and since the Team has in the past come up with unexpectedly ground-breaking solutions, I don’t think we can say that implementing measure repeats is necessarily simple.

Since there is already somthing similar (the new “cue” feature is much more complicated) I don’t think it would be that hard to add a simple thing as a bar repeat. I mean, Dorico is on the market since 2016 now. It’s not like this function was an esoteric one…

Have a look through the (now over 100 pages long) version history PDF, to see what they HAVE achieved in the past year. Yes, you’re grumbling about this, but loads of other people have previously been grumbling about plenty of other things that have now been fixed.

Indeed, I have read the pdf document before I bought the soft about 2 weeks ago. That’s why I’m surprised that something as basic as this is not fixed yet while the “cue” feature is implemented.

Another solution (if the use or repeat symbols is to make structure and counting easy) is to copy the bar’s music and then reduce the music to a size where it’s obvious that it depicts a bar repeat.

I would suggest a simple addition of the symbol. Then in a future release full music integration. That would be better than any other workaround. The symbol could be placed in the repeat barline panel.

Once you have visited this forum for a length of time, you will learn that the Dorico Team has decided not to add temporary solutions to the program code. They wait until they can implement a real solution and then they do it.

So you’ll have to wait too–or use a work-around of your own.

This is a respectable approach and a great reflection of their intense perfectionism. However, I would argue that until they fill in some obvious blanks one would expect of any professional notation program (such as repeat symbols and slashes), they shouldn’t yet be talking about a paid update. Get the basics done first. My two cents (now argue amongst yourselves :slight_smile:)…

• rj

In December I have written: „Dorico remains an expensive sold semifinished product.“
One buys a car and the wheels are delivered bit by bit.

Yet this is no car, and if you compare Dorico now with a two-year-old Finale, Sibelius or any other, you’ll understand software industry has nothing in common with car industry :wink: and you’ll be glad to have Dorico!

Yet this is no car, it is one more bike. :wink:
Cars have an amount in software, they have software even relevant for security.
It is, above all, validated software, it does for what one has requested.
Requirements, verification and validation are 3 important columns of the software development.
Some of the requirements for Dorico are collected only here in this forum.
If one has luck, they are realised sometime.
Here only mistakes should be searched.

But…, I am glad to have Dorico :slight_smile:

it does not seem easy to be patient nowadays

Why not read the version history and then decide whether you want Dorico or not?
Bengt B

Indeed, or the very detailed feature list PDF that is available here (linked to from this page). Of course the feature list does not list things that are not included in Dorico, but hopefully if you are reading that list you will keep in mind the features that are most important to you, and therefore be able to determine whether or not they are included.

We don’t hide what Dorico can and cannot do, and we try to be as open and transparent about what we are working on as we can be.

It’s also not just a list of cans/can’ts, it is the speed with which things can be achieved.
There are a few things in Dorico that require workarounds. There are way more things that Dorico does in seconds that require PITA workarounds in other programs…and some of these are bugs that have existed for well over a decade…

Just to try to quell the false-analogy comparisons:
The bicycle and the automobile were not so hot (nor so safe) in their first two years of existence. Try riding one of those bikes with the large front wheel and small back wheel or starting a Model T with a crank that caused many fractured arms before the crank start was replaced.