Alto Trumpet (what is it called in Dorico?)

Greetings,
What is the Alto Trumpet called in Dorico? Is there an alternative name that Dorico uses?
This particular instrument in F, but not sure if it is the same as what Dorico says is Trumpet in F. The other choices are tenor trumpet and bass trumpet.

Thanks!

Trumpet in F sounds a 4th higher than written whether the actual instrument is larger or smaller than a B♭ trumpet (unlike Horn in F, which sounds a 5th lower) so I think you’re all set with what Dorico calls Trumpet in F either way.

I don’t think that is correct.

Both Shostakovich (1st Symphony) and Glazanov (8th Symphony) use a Trumpet in F that definitely sounds a fifth lower than written (like a Horn in F)

Well, my apologies then. What I wrote is true of 19th century composers such as Wagner and Mahler.

Hi! To clarify, I am asking about a trumpet that sounds a fifth lower. Is there an instrument on Dorico that will work with this trumpet?

Use Trumpet in F, then in both the part and score in setup mode drop the “Sounds as” down an octave

2 Likes

Puccini too! One of my first arranging projects (suggested by our band director in high school) was a big chunk of Act II La Bohème, and after immersing myself in Forsyth I still had to determine what the composer meant by Trumpet in F.

While the long trumpet in F (notated a fourth below sounding pitch) is well documented at least as recently as Mahler and Strauss (Forsyth is indeed the best source for information on this instrument today), I think that there is some doubt about the use of the trumpet in F that transposes down, as found in Shostakovich’s 1st Symphony. As I recall, it seems to have been an invention of Rimsky-Korsakov and instances of it may be mythical. On the other hand, Shostakovich’s First Symphony was performed shortly after it was written.

I’m not sure about “Forsyth”: Do you mean the book “Orchestration” by Cecil Forsyth?

I think the trumpet exists, but isn’t standard. I wonder who plays the part then? In a normal performance of these pieces (Mlada, Three Russian Songs…)

Yes!!

This book is available on IMSLP.

Forsyth’s dry wit makes this a very enjoyable read.

1 Like