Always place accent outside of staff?

If 2.2.10 you can flip them with a single keypress (F) which is quicker than using the properties panel in earlier versions.

Found this thread while searching for this issue. I just wanted to confirm this is still not possible by default right? When the accent attaches to a note on the middle staff line, that accent touches both of the lines it is centered between. It would be great to have this positioned outside the staff by default instead.

Correct, still not possible.

Thanks Dan. Add one more to the tally of those that would like to see this get fixed then.

If you scale the Accent symbols (Above and Below) to 120% in the Music Symbols editor, they will stay outside the Staff. (Maybe even a tad less.)

I found this out because the music font I use has larger accents, and they stay outside!

Actually 102% is enough to get them to appear outside the staff. As I can hardly even tell the difference between 100% and 102% this seems like an easy solution to always make accents appear outside, thanks!

I had hoped this would be one of things patched in Dorico 3, but this 102% workaround should hopefully hold me for now. Is there a way to make the music symbols editor change default for all projects?

Yes, you can select the symbol in the left-hand list and click the star button in the action bar at the bottom of the list.

Hi, I’m trying Dorico for evaluate the switch from Sibelius.
I’m impressed by many of the features but I am disapponted for the missing of this feature and for the engrave option that creates a lot of confusion by making it look like a bug (this thread is more than two years old!).
I hope there will soon be a chance to set the position of articulations and accents out of the staff.
In meanwhile II use the workaround from this thread.
Thanks!
Dorico is a very good notation software, but please add these few functionality to encourage us to use it for professional scoring and make “the big jump” from other softwares!

Thanks for your feedback, Luigi. As you can see, there is already a reasonably easy solution to this problem by adjusting the scale factor for the accent symbol, but we do plan to add further control in this area in due course.

102-3% works for me…

This size change is noticed by only the most detailed observers - I’m guessing at 120%, those accents would be very oversized.

Thank you for the quick response Daniel: your work with the forum is truly admirable! :astonished:

I believe that really Dorico is the future of notation software and I believe for me it could become the present!
The management of techniques (with expression maps) and the play mode with the piano roll are the best!
I created a very complex template whit a lot of 3th party libraries in no time! :wink:
Keep it up!

102-3% works for me…

This size change is noticed by only the most detailed observers - I’m guessing at 120%, those accents would be very oversized.

I tried with 102-103% but it didn’t work for me: 120% works fine:
Accent out of staff.jpeg

Is there a reason why this trick doesn’t seem to work with the Petaluma font? No matter how much I enlarge the accents, they’re still inside the staff, they just appear larger and overlap other things, including the notes they’re attached to.

Jeremy

As of Dorico 3.1 you don’t need to use this trick any more. See the Articulations page of Engraving Options.

Wonderful! Thanks, Daniel! Hope you and your team are safe and healthy!

Beautiful! Thanks, Daniel!