Am i missing something? Dynamics engraving looks like trash by default

the issue is i can’t write with condensing on, unless i’m missing something

i followed along with his big dorico beginner’s tutorial video, and came across these videos in my searching but haven’t watched them yet. thank you!

If condensing is on, you write in galley view

2 Likes

but then it’s not condensed anymore?

The page view still shows the correct condensed version!

i don’t understand what you mean.

i’m in write mode, i turn condensing on, it’s condensed, i switch to galley view in order to write (as you said) and now it’s no longer condensed. How do i write with condensing turned on?

You cannot write into condensed staves; that is why you go into galley mode or an(other) uncondensed layout. Worrying about the page layout should be handled (if one strictly follows the designed Dorico workflow, though not all do) after all notes are in.

1 Like

Galley view is a “working” view. It shows all staves so you can work on them. Page view is what prints!

1 Like

@dan_kreider I always figure the higher the number the smaller the paper in continental sizes. So A4 is close to letter size and A3 is close to tabloid.

1 Like

You can’t edit condensed notes in page view (usually these will be shown as grey notes, unless you’ve changed the option under view>note and rest colors.…)

Take time to watch the video on condensing.

1 Like

do you know why my horns look like this in condensed view? is it some setting i need to change? also, it changes on its own to horns 1,2 and 3,4 later in the piece:

Have you watched the video?

1 Like

Condensing groups.

And traditionally Horn 3 is scored higher than Horn 2 although still on the bottom staff with Horn 4.

1 Like

You might want to watch this video on building an orchestra score: Entering a Symphony | Discover Dorico - YouTube

1 Like