Am I The Only One Who Forgets To Use New Features?

I don’t agree with anything you wrote there, so I guess I’m pretty ridiculous. I’m not using Cubase because it’s similar to using a smartphone… quite the opposite.

This mobile DAW’s approach seems closer to what you’d want by the way, take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zScFkgfVlw

ahhh the good old fashioned “do you want to extend the part” dialogue with a checkbox to remember your choice -forever- which didn’t actually do it so you got the same dialogue box every session… hmm I wonder if thats fixed in 9?

:smiley:

I mean, at least we don’t have to read the manual.

It wasn’t fixed in 9. We should get on (re-)reporting that.

That’s also a pretty ridiculous statement. :smiley:

Even small children will tell you that saying a -statement- is ridiculous is not the same thing as saying that the -person- who said it is intrinsically ridiculous.

Me neither! My smartphone sometimes drives me nuts!

Let’s put it a different way then.

It’s a childish remark. It’s our opinion, and there’s nothing ridiculous about what we prefer, even if it differs from your preferences.

I made a feature request years ago, that they could make some guides. Nothing automatically popping up, but a list of the more intricate features in their own menu. That would take the user by the hand and guide them step by step.

Nope, it’s your post that seems ridiculous. Just because someone doesn’t want to take the time to learn the software they bought doesn’t mean the rest of us need to be subjected to reminder “bubbles”.

Ok, so we have two types of people:

1. The type that reads manuals about the architecture of their new product

2. The other that doesn’t and wants to be led by the hand through its operations through bubble technology.

The first type already has their remedy in PDF form.

The second type requests to remedy by acquiring technology for the bubble effect.

That which would be ok “IF” it is switchable so that the manual informed people don’t have to deal with it by switching it “off”.

Done.

That would be ok if everything else was hunky dory with Cubase, and the programmers were sitting around all bored with nothing to do.

But as we all know, there is a lot of work to do in Cubase, including fixing bugs. And we’ve all read the moderators saying how busy everyone is there.

So, no - I don’t want the programmers pulled off whatever they are working on so that somebody who wants to be led by the hand gets their bubbles to guide and tell them what Cubase can do.
“RFTM/watch the vids - no way, I’m too busy making music!” is at least honest, but it is still a really lame reason to ask the programmers to stop working on other stuff IMO.

Yeah, I get it and I’m not making a time reference. There are more important matters. Just a future answer to the issue.
I for one am a reader. I think most of the operations are intuitive and I navigated through Pro 9 just fine when I first opened it but for other things, I referenced the manual. While you’re in there looking for specifics, you can’t help but run into other features. I did look at some videos before I got Pro 9. Coming from Studio 5, there’s not anything totally foreign making the jump to this version.

The interesting thing about the popup guide idea is that it’s important to bring new users over to Cubase. The more users, the more money can be allocated to development, which gives us less bugs and more features in a quicker timeframe. A product as deep as Cubase can be very daunting to novices. I think that’s one of the reasons Ableton gained traction so rapidly. I think it’s also one of the clever reasons that Steinberg put the new bottom panel in place, it makes it much more obvious for novices to know where to go next after they paint their first clip.

-E

guess who is going to complain about pop ups? same people who requested for them.

we could have pop ups for bugs that some point out havent been fixed for years and years and yearssss!

as long as i have the option to switch them off - i am happy, but steinberg please don’t waste to much effort implementing them! there were pop ups and it seemed some didn’t like them so they took them away

I would suggest that the eyerollers here are being somewhat hypocritical–or are -really- old. I spend much of the year in ‘tech ground zero’ and pretty much -everyone- in the tech world -expects- these bubble reminders in advanced software. Why? They’re just too busy -working- to deeply study manuals. I see bubble reminders in Adobe Creative Suite, Android, Facebook—they’re -everywhere-. And they are -not- intrusive–they bug you once and then they’re gone if you choose. Plus: they are easy to code—all they are is a link to some docs somewhere else.

I think of Cubase like an airplane or better still a NASCAR racer–it’s a -very- complex product, which I’m flying -all- the time. I want my pit stops to be as brief as possible—in mid air if I can! I want the software to be so self-evident that even as it becomes more complex, it -shows- me what is new and guides me to added conveniences WHILE I CONTINUE TO RACE.

The idea of stopping to do deep dives for what Cubase does seems ridiculous to me now. I understand the value of stopping to practice a piano or ear training, but to learn features of a -car- once I already know how to drive? Not so much.

I’m sure the haters here will have equally clever analogies, but history is on my side. Software -will- become more self-evident and more ‘guided’ and IMO it’s best to always encourage SB to be -with- the curve as opposed to -behind- it as they so often are. Yes, they are great on various technologies like VST and ASIO, but on UX? Documentation? They have been Luddites, which is why the product has such an inconsistent look/feel. We should encourage Cubase to work like other best in class UX products–and like it or not? That includes new feature reminders.

I wasn’t sure about this when I started this thread, but ironically all the naysayers really got me to focus my thinking and now I’m sure. Thanks.

I don’t know where the “eyerollers” or “hypocrites” scenario comes from but I for one was ok with it’s implementation as long as it can be turned off if not wanted. That would seem to cater to both sides, wouldn’t it?

Alexis did have a good point though in that other bugs that have been lingering, dating as far as a few versions back, need to be fixed for normal operation. It would be fair to address those first as those are a detriment to normal system operation and not a feature request.

Good software developers (and SB have some of the best) can both walk and chew gum at the same time. They seem to spend an inordinate amount of time on the UX in addition to all the improvements under the hood. I just wish those UX hours were put to better use. :smiley:

I agree, but then what I would suggest is making Cubase Elements free for anyone to use to introduce new users. The price is for many too steep and isn’t competitive with something like Reaper, and it would be the perfect gateway drug starting with a soft eLicenser…

I then suggest lowering the price of the Artist version to make it viable for more people, or at least have more discount sales for people to hop on the Cubase (update) train. The Pro version can pretty much stay priced as it is.

Like it or not, many people got into Cubase from way back when the eLicenser dongle was emulated, and then later became paid users. Some say they’re among us on this forum!

I suggest backing down on the personal attacks. The age argument doesn’t even make sense, since it’s old people that love their tablet UI way more than a desktop environment.

Gotta be great money in it but as I navigate through C9 Pro and all the features, angles, subgroups, editability etc, I can’t imagine all the time displaced and convergence of engineering members to agree down to one product. Multiply that by millions of users knocking at the door to restructure all they’ve compiled and who knows how deep they have to re-engineer to alleviate just one problem or fix. It’s got to be painstaking to address issues not only for every unique user’s taste but across many platforms and mind you that criteria is “always” changing. You’d “have” to walk, chew gum, tightrope, scratch your head and pat your belly. I don’t envy that job considering they also have to constantly upgrade to rival the competition. I’m pretty sure it’s “their” option as to what to put on the back burner or not implement at all. :slight_smile:

I work in a technical field. There is no way to master the tools used there except to study manuals, read articles, and communications among those involved. To think that one could just go in and start doing it without any study, depending on bubbles, is of course ludicrous.

To use the OP’s “Using Cubase is like flying an airplane” example a few posts up: does anyone think the skilled pilot doesn’t need to study manuals, that they can simply get in the c*ckpit and fly just by using popup bubbles?

I think the OP also used an analogy of Cubase as a racecar - does anyone think the driver doesn’t practice 100s or 1,000s of hours getting ready for the race? But there must be something wrong with Cubase if it the novice can’t simply open>>read bubbles>>use?

I’d suggest to stop whinging, just allocate the time to learn the tools: Youtube, manuals, forums.

Dont agree! Cubase is a pro app for pro users - shouldn’t be anything like mobile smartphone UI which designed for non pro users on a tiny screen.

I dont think bubbles is a good idea - Some apps use a system of reminders/tips when loading and I think that might be a good idea. Non invasive.