Am I wrong or... open hihat playback

My score doesn’t playback a open hihat that is notated as a hihat with the open play-technique. Am I wrong that this normally as a open-hihat sound? Now it sounds like a closed hihat.

It should play back.

What Dorico version are you running?

And what happens if you delete the open technique and re-add it? Does the playback work then? There was an issue in one of the earlier versions, where the technique wasn’t read properly depending on when and how it was created (this is from my very poor memory, so I might have some of my details off).

Robby

When I insert the open playing technique from the Playing Technique properties panel then it works. The name is Open (pt.Open2) . When I use Shft-P and type Open there are 3 ‘open’ options. None of the three works.

(I’ve ‘reset to library defaults’ in the percussions maps also, but it doesn’t affect anything)

The answer: I have to use the palette or with midi. The pop-over doesn’t work for this.

So is this a known bug, team Drico?
I have the same problem here. Must try if it works at least with the palette.
Very annoying.

Update: at least it works with the palette.

We do plan to sort out popover input for playing techniques where there are duplicate terms and so it is not possible to choose specifically which playing technique should be produced.

I have the same problem as well…the open playing technique doesn’t give an open HH sound. How did you fix it? I’m using the most updated version of dorico

Unfortunately I haven’t yet managed to go through and sort out the duplicate popover terms (for which I apologise), but you can fix this for yourself in the meantime as follows:

1. In Engrave mode, choose Engrave > Playing Techniques.
  2. Under ‘Category’ choose ‘Unpitched Percussion’.
  3. Select ‘Open’ in the list on the left-hand side.
  4. On the right-hand side of the dialog, change ‘Popover text’ from ‘open’ to (e.g.) ‘hho’ or something else you’ll be able to remember and which isn’t used by something else.
  5. If you want to make this change apply to all future projects you work on, click the little star icon in the action bar at the bottom of the list of playing techniques.

Now you should find that you can type e.g. ‘hho’ into the Shift+P popover and you’ll get the expected playing technique.