AMD Ryzen 9 x3950x amazing build

Àbout bios updates. I have done dozens but I did have one failed (without warning so did not boot anymore). But I managed to fix it by reflashing it on another (same) mobo, with the hotswap method: start working mobo in bios flash mode. remove bios chip, insert non working bios chip and flash.

Its not that flashing a new bios is scary, but the fact that the amd bios has that many bugs that it needs that many in a year.
Ok it provides compatibility between the am4 socket and the various incarnations of the Ryzen cpu, that accounts for some of the bios updates

X570 boards was released in july 2019. I have updated BIOS once on my Asus Prime board. I havent experienced any bugs, just updates for new memory and some efficiency updates. The 3950x was released in december 2019 so it would be strange if there was no bios updates available when a new CPU comes out.

Btw, the chipset fan on Asus Prime is very quiet. My system is almost completely silent. The most quiet computer I have built actually, very happy with it.
I also got rid of machenical disks, so that means less heat aswell (chassi fans can run on low RPM).
I cant hear if its on or off, have to check power LED before turning off the main power in the studio when leaving. :slight_smile:

yet :smiley:

you can install a Vanilla OSX majove or catalina on zen2 cpu’s. There’s actually hidden AMD instructions in the recent OSX code, so perhaps Apple might be thinking towards the future. Anyway all that to say that there are plenty of Ryzen Hackintoshes rendering video for pro users around already. Somw software needs tweaks, Adobe being one but if you search out on the web you’ll find the AMD instructions to install.

M

For those using a Ryzen9 3950X CPU, are there recommended tweaks that need doing in Windows and the bios?

Only that you should get fast memory, 3600 MHz or faster and be sure BIOS use it. Also if you use a gaming gfx card that runs in PCIE 4.0, set it to 3.0 instead or ot will hog the PCI bus.
In Windows 10 be sure to install chipset drivers with AMD Ryzen Scheduling (used in Power settings), do not use Steinbergs scheduling.

I have seen ppl running MacOSX with latest Ryzen actually. Here’s one example:

Also this article suggests Apple seems to go AMD officially:

I’m happy that AMD is out there for competition but like an earlier post mentioned, I just had bad experience in the past with them.

I am glad you are happy, though.

I just recently built an i9-9900k with Gigabyte Z390 board and couldn’t be happier. It was a nice upgrade from an i7-4770 Haswell.

I’m just finishing a 3950x build. I’ve installed windows 10 and OSX Mojave no problems.

DPC latency is fantastic, machine so far seems very nice, I’m loving the new NVMe drives hidden away under the south bridge sheild. 1 TB drives with 3500MB/s read smaller than RAM sticks :smiley:

Windows 10 feels a lot snappier than OSX.

I’m into day 3 of downloading and installing,authorising software!!!
A good way to do some plugin house keeping though

M

Brilliant! Enjoy :sunglasses::sunglasses::partying_face:

Just pm’d you about compatibility between your UAD pcie cards and the x570 3950x combo. Hope that’s ok…

Scan Audio Pro has released their results from daw benchmarks for 2020.

Even though the AMD Ryzen 3950x costs almost 50% less than the Intel 10980XE, AMD’s CPU is still a winner on the DSP-tests, around 25% faster.
This wasn’t really surprising, but what is surprising is that the much cheaper 3900x is faster than Intels flagship 10980XE.

At the VI/Kontakt tests the 10980XE is performing a bit better, about 13% faster than the 3950x and a lot better than the 3900x.

I have two UAD-2 DUO PCIE that works fine in my system, but I use an ASUS motherboard (I don’t have any Thunderbolt equipment like an Apollo).

That’s fine, and I’ve replied.
Cheers

Just to make it clear, I am not criticizing the AMD cpu lineup.
Just think it is wise to initially be cautious, and not automatically assume that great compute performance equals great DAW performance. The scanproaudio article removes any concerns I personally had.

Thanks. That’s interesting. I’m considering the asrock x570 extreme 4 and have a UAD pcie octo. Just want to make sure 100% that the octo will work. Got a few conversations on the go with various very helpful people. So far I can’t find any posts / people saying that the octo doesn’t work, but also nobody that confirms it definitely does :slight_smile: There’s a guy in this thread that hasn’t managed to get his quads to work on the asrock x570 yet so even though the chipsets are the same maybe there’s some difference between the asus and the asrock that is causing a problem…

Did you have to do anything special to make them work? Changing the gen from PCI 4 or something like that?

That article has all but persuaded me to go with the 3950x (once I confirm UAD compatibility). I’ve heard that there are supply chain issues with the 10980xe. Can’t say who told me but it didn’t sound promising for quite some while…

Thanks for this. Do you recommend manually implementing the settings for the bios to use it?

Interesting to note that leaving the CPU standard without OC-ing seemed to give the best results. I had mine OC’d @4.3GHZ all cores but it seems the 3950x is very good at turbo boosting cores as needed so no benefit to OC-ing it would seem.

@Jouleskey do you have an XMP setting in your BIOS for your ram, I have the same and I did, I just run it on that. If that’s all good then you can manually adjust settings to fine tune.

M