Amd ryzen processors and cubase 11.5

Ya that makes sense it doesn’t really belong here

Asus did not have workstation boards for AMD at the time I purchased mine. Gigabyte did but weren’t available in my country. The most annoying thing was it would lose fan control and either ramp up the fans to full or not spin them up and the CPU would overheat under load and the system shut down. I now have a corsair fan control on the CPU.

The desktop has already transitioned to Majority AMD 51%+, laptops people are waking up to AMD’s 20% and Servers will wake up as they are normally 3years behind due to the lengthy validation process.
Intel’s latest 11th gen cpu’s are in many respects slower the 10th gen. I think it will take a long time for AMD to build confidence on the High-end systems as for the desktop it’s a no brainer.

I was forced into my upgrade due to my PC dying of old age after 9years service. I would have liked to upgrade to another dual xeon Lenovo flavoured but that was $14k in the end I am happy with my gen1 threadripper. AMD have made it so we can do what we did on Xeon Workstation on the desktop without much fuss.

If you are waiting for the dust to settle, I think it will take another 2 years for the mindset to change. The AMD workstation processors to compete with the Intel Xeon for all-round set and forget has not been released yet and Intel is still stuck on 14nm with the 11th gen change to the new architecture that was originally designed for the failed 10nm process. Windows 10 and AMD is stable and most software is stable on it.
In 2 years, mindset issues that remain AMD would have complete ironed out and we can see where intel is. For the desktop AMD is a no brainer.

@MattiasNYC
How is your system for latency?

I have some helpful win 10 pro tweaks that will help everyone that not many are doing.
Like enabling windows “Ultimate performance” power mode option from the command line and unhiding some of the power profile options like “Disable Idle Process.” These two tweaks has a drastic performance boost on my system.

My buffers are never lower than 512. I do post-production for radio/TV/Film so I don’t need them to be lower than that. As a matter of fact I frequently max them out when rendering hour+ long content to speed things up.

I think I will make a post for it on the Nuendo forums. Its worth about 15-30% performance.

Can you explain better hot to do this tweaks?

I think it’s quite obvious that the more conservative and cautious minds will cling to old Intel habits until others have been happy AMD Cubase users for a while. People are different, and the cautious/conservative approach is a legitimate option.
I prefer another approach, where I am willing to take the better performancer as soon as it seems rewarding enough to me to take minimal remaining risks, and it makes sense to me - not two years later.
One reason, why I will prefer AMD hands down in 2021, is not just sigificantly better overall performance, but also AMDs better use of energy. For my next desktop music computer buy, I will not even compare and consider Intel any more, looking at their 11th gen., which I definitely don’t like one bit.

You’ll also be immune to Meltdown and Spectre Intel CPU viruses that can’t be patched with software.

Not true, this is not only directed at Intel, but also AMD and potentially ARM

1 Like

Ah, so it was an AMD build :stuck_out_tongue:

AMD is obviously winning the desktop market at the moment, but this is a pretty typical back and forth like Xbox One vs PS4 vs Xbox One S, etc.

It looks like Intel has given them an extra year lead though, be interesting to see what the new Intel CEO does by 2022.

I might build an intermediate AMD machine on the cheaper side to use until I do my $10,000 intel build.

And the architecture they’re using is because… they’re in a slower development cycle.

And what would it take to convince you? I’m actually genuinely wondering. Because the same caveats I see today (in general) are the same caveats I saw a decade ago. But today isn’t a decade ago.

My Intel machine has been working for over a decade. Probably a major factor in AMD gaining market share… No one is needing to buy new Intels. Actually my current Intel chip is a used one I bought off Ebay that replaced the initial one I put in my machine, which is something I wouldn’t normally do, but there’s only so many things you can put in an older machine.

The market gains are somewhat inflated by data miners buying GPUs, and video gamers trying to squeeze an extra 5 FPS.

So in 2025 we’ll still be talking about my R7 1700 I bet… Know what I mean?

Don’t really know what you mean, I think we’re likely to be talking about Intel in 2022 and no one will be thinking about AMD in 2025. Intel has something like %80 of the market even when they aren’t performing well. It appears their stock has been going up just by way of their new CEOs video press release a few days ago.

I’m a die hard don’t give a fk customer. I’ll use whatever is best, and benchmark performance isn’t the only aspect of influencing me. They have a history of serious issues, they were having serious driver issues with their GPUs last year. Mainstream integration is an aspect - if something is used more (like Intel) it’s more likely to run into problems early if it does have problems, and be solved quicker. Support, out of box performance, speed of patch releasing, etc, etc.

A decade is nothing in terms of relaxing a judgment when you’re talking about $10k-$30k computer builds that I want to last flawlessly for 10-15 years… And a performance benchmark isn’t going to change that for me…

That’s why Intel didn’t make the USB3 bugs public that were present in chipsets for the last ten years?

Not sure what you’re talking about, never had a problem with Intel and USB3 and my is system is full of them, only problem I’ve had with USB3 is it interferes with USB2 if in close proximity.

Not true, it’s true. Meltdown only affected Intel chips. Specter way less impacted AMD in % (only one variant of Specter was creating problems here).

So, not true. Is it true Intel was maybe more affected? Sure, but it’s not true if you have AMD or Arm that you’re out of the water.

It is complex. Sepectre affect x86 both amd and intel but at least some ARM are immune. Meltdown does not affect AMD, but ARM and Intel. But 11th gen should have both fixed from Intel.

Last I checked only one of those two affected AMD. And it seems at least two more people recall the same thing.

Your insistence on this is what makes you look like a “fanboy”… and I really do hate to use that term.

Six of one half a dozen of the other.

Their development cycle has been slow relative to their roadmap years ago. They should have been on new architectures on smaller nodes like a couple of years ago already and they’re not. If they had been they’d have been crushing AMD at this point. So within that context they’re at least partially “stuck”. You can call it “slow development” if you want of course.

It first of all doesn’t answer my question which was what it would take to convince you to change your mind. Secondly, you’re implying that all these people buying AMD are new buyers because the older ones are still on functioning Intel builds, but that isn’t entirely logical because it implies people pretty much all bought their rigs at the same time. But that isn’t the case… You have a steady stream of buyers who decommission their old systems and buy new, and if the pool of customers haven’t grown significantly then a significant increase in market share for AMD is absolutely coming from previous Intel owners. So what you imply isn’t supported by the numbers.

Again, why do people like you bother posting in this thread??? The point I was trying to make was that people like you will never ever be convinced that AMD is a better choice. That’s what I mean that in 2025 someone like you will come along and talk about how my current CPU, a first generation Ryzen, isn’t that great, even though at that point it’ll be 2025. You won’t be comparing whatever AMD has then to what Intel has then “because history”. Heck, you might even still try to taint AMD with “Bulldozer”.

That you claim that in 2025 nobody is even going to be thinking about AMD says it all. Leave the thread and go elsewhere. You have zero recent experience with these CPUs and so you really don’t seem to have anything to add about how they function. I mean, you ignore user experiences and you ignore the DAW-specific benchmark testing that exists. What else is there? There is nothing. Nothing to convince you.

Move on.

Again: Your mind is made up.
Move on.
Next thread for you.

Six of one half a dozen of the other.

Blockquote Your insistence on this is what makes you look like a “fanboy”… and I really do hate to use that term.

Because it makes you sound like a fanboy? Honestly mate, you’re the only one here who sounds like a fanboy.

Ironically, even in their worst year they still are crushing AMD - does it really matter? no.

NASA switching their entire infrastructure to AMD.

Actually that’s not very logical, you’re completely overlooking trends, tech cycles, OS releases, purchasing age demographics, etc.

“Absolutely coming from former intel users”… or coming form a new generation of young video gamers and streamers who are first time computer buyers…

How do you know what I will and wont be convinced of? weird comment, are you a psychic? Sort of ignorant mate. sort of ignorant.

Why do you care who posts where? it’s an interesting discussion, people will participate how they want… why are you so triggered over this? Enjoy your AMD if it’s working for you?

Now you know what experiences I have and don’t have?

I know that %80 of the market is Intel, and therefore I know that most things are going to be tested on Intel. It’s a basic logical analysis that I factor in to my assessment when building a $10k+ machine - why are you offended?

Chill dude, listen to some music
The Robotic Musicians known as: Intel’s Industrial Control in Concert | Intel - Bing video

The difference is that I’m not going into threads about Intel and advocating for people to get AMD CPUs.

You’re in an AMD thread advocating people use Intel.

Do you understand that difference?

I’ll start an intel thread and invite you.

The thread is about AMD CPUs, which means, it’s also about CPUs.

the OP is coming from intel, thinking about an upgrade to AMD.

Therefore, it’s also about Intel vs AMD.

Alder lake release 2nd half will be PCIe5 and DDR5