Amd7950x3d

I’m looking at building a couple of Ryzen 7950X PC’s but was wondering if anyone knows if the upcoming 7950X3D will be an improvement of create problems?

I know they are not out yet so there will be no real-world DAW data from these particular CPU’s but I’m just wondering if anyone understands the theory and could foresee potential issues with these chips.

It seems the extra cache only applies to one chiplet. I’m wondering if this type of CPU could give unpredictable or inferior performance compared to the standard 7950X?

From my understanding, the 3D part refers only to the cache and the actual CPU will be clocked at a lower rate. This is primarily (of course, only thing home users do on their PCs, right?) targeted at increasing gaming performance.

My guess is that it will be no better and because of the clock speeds, may even be slightly worse for DAW workloads (depends on many other factors which are currently unknown) but given that the 7950x is a beast and the 3D version will inevitably be more expensive, I would stick with that.

Now, doubtless, I shall be proven wrong :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for your info. This is kind of what I was thinking. I have read that half the cpu will have the 3d cache which may clock slightly slower and the other half will run full whack.

I know Steinberg recommend to stay away from some of the new intel chips with the P and E cores. I know this is different but was just wondering if may Steinberg issue a similar warning to these new chips due to only one chiplet having the mega-cache.

I guess it’s a matter of wait and see.