An open plea to Steinberg

Way ahead of you.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/article/cubase-85-is-last-version-to-be-32-bit-compatible-3469.html

And that’s how it should be! Very nice. :sunglasses:

Change I can believe in.
B.

That could be a genius resource-liberating idea.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/article/cubase-85-is-last-version-to-be-32-bit-compatible-3469.html

So is Steinberg now confirming that the development has been crippled in some way due to developing simultanous 32 and 64 bit versions???

And not before time.This should free up extra time to develop new content…I mean solve existing issues!

Guillermo,

Thanks for the update and for keeping us informed that you are working on something. This is much appreciated!

Looking forward to the detailed post :slight_smile:.

Thank you for responding, that alone is appreciated. I’ll look forward to the plan and hopefully having my confidence in Steinberg bolstered if not fully restored.

+1

+2

+3

+4

+5

. . .

+100

. . .

+1,000

. . .

&c.

[/quote]

I’m pleased (but admittedly skeptical) with the response from Guillermo. (Nothing personal!)
But I have to - respectfully - disagree with the above quoted post. Speaking for myself (and possibly for some others) my complaint isn’t that I don’t know what’s going on. It’s that I think I know exactly what’s going on based on my personal experience with Steinberg over the last 6 years of my 15 year patronage. Repeated releases of bug-ridden beta-grade software; spending development time on new “features” instead of fixing the bugs, being charged for updates that don’t fix long-standing problems, and providing generally lousy customer service has become the norm. Sure, better communication would help. But I’m not interested in being sold software, and then being told it will get fixed it in X? months. I expect it to work as represented. If it’s buggy, tell me before I buy it! If Steinberg doesn’t have the internal resources to properly test their products, then either hire more people or release them as betas. But to sell software that is (A) expensive and (B) held out (in it’s name no less) as “Pro” that isn’t properly QC’d is unacceptable.
OK, I’m going to dial down now and wait for Steinberg’s next move. I’m still not spending another dime with them until I have a proper Windows 10 driver for my MR816s and I am confident that 8.5(x) is solid.
Rant over…

Live crashes way more than Cubase for me. All DAWs crash, especially when using third party plugins. It’s just the way of the world is seems.

And what troubles me the most is freezing on exit. With 8.0.30 freezing was gone if project was closed before quitting. Now with 8.5 freezing is back again for me, I cannot even kill Cubase anymore in Win10 via task manager, and must restart every time I restart Cubase. Why, oh why is Steinberg unable to make a software that quits properly when you click close???

I had the issue in 8.0.20, but it’s been fine since. It’s a mysterious issue that only effects a minority of people so understandably a hard bug to fix it seems.

Please go try Protools First for a while (I’ll give you 1 hour :slight_smile:

very good point!.. clunky and orrible! … hence ‘SloTools’ :wink:

A hopeful response from Steinberg reported by Guillermo. That’s the most that can be said for now, as it remains for their aspirations to be realized.

Also, as a previous poster pointed out, Guillermo’s report deals only with the lack of transparent communication brought up by the OP. That really is the lesser of the two problem, the other being that not enough resources are being devoted to core issues like bugs, development of previously introduced key features that have been left less than fully implemented, workflow, and coherency.

Hopefully Steinberg “listening” to their customers includes a serious reconsideration of what looks to many like devoting far more resources to “sexy” new features and not enough to solid optimization and improvement.

Business history is littered with the carcasses of companies who were once dominant that took their dominance (and their customers) for granted, suffering calamity when another company that listened better overtook them.

hence ‘SloTools’

:astonished: :laughing:

+1 to the plea. I really wish they would just focus on improving what’s there and focus on the core functionality of the program that makes the workflow faster. How many man hours did it take to the make this new cloud thing that could have been spent improving and streamlining the actual program to be as fast, efficient and bug free as possible.

Wow. It is great to see Steinberg officially discussing our concerns directly. This will make for a fantastic direction for Cubase. If this truly moves forward, I am excited to be a part of the Cubase Reconstruction Era (CRE) that officially began in the forums.

:slight_smile:

Heh, writing history has a habit of failure. Hopefully not this time.

Marketing bulls**t if you ask me… I hope Steinberg will prove me wrong tho…

+1

I also think recent promise from Steinberg is a marketing spin. After all it is coming from their marketing director, who is probably the last in the company to promise technical improvements. It is his job to turn people in favor of Steinberg, that’s what he is paid for, and I bet his check is not the most modest in their company. Those people are trained to sell, and to convince.
When I hear it form their technical directors or whatever they call them, those guys who really get to decide what is to be done and how and when, and when they decide to come here to forum and discuss things openly and directly, then I can believe something they write here in response to criticisms posted here. Until then it all looks just as usual marketing crisis management. But let them prove me wrong, hats off then. Cheers.
[ I remember some time ago Uli Behringer came to one forum (I think soundforums.net) directly and personally - that was something, I thought this guy has some serious balllz. He stood up agains all accusations, and some guys were not mild towards him at all. He was polite and a bit official, so some even doubted that he is personally writing it, but he responded that it is indeed him in person. Hats off to him, he dares. And he owns the company, and it was not even his company’s official forum. He did it, and he is great for that in my view. He could also easily tell his marketing director to write a short email to one of his forum mods, to post it on his company’s official forum BTW…]

Yeah, I am not holding my breath either.
I am actually surprised to see how many users got so excited about the fact that a marketing guy is indirectly addressing
us in time of crisis, saying…pretty much nothing, and the fact that he had time to write that message but had no time to post it himself I take even less seriously.

:confused: