An open plea to Steinberg

+1

Do as Microsoft did with windows 9, skip Cubase 9 and do the right thing with Cubase 10.
I’m not sure what Microsoft actually did but at a distance it looked like it wasn’t all bad, which is all besides the point?

Back to Cubase! Just postpone all the plans for C9 and keep them on your hard drives in Hamburg or at least put them on the back burner.
Get 95% of the issues ironed out even if it takes one or two years and get the most rock stabelestingest DAW on the market with just about no crap in the code. Would the audio industry and community notice? Ya betcha! Would the competition cry all the way to the bank? Is a bear catholic? Does the Poop sh!t in the woods?

Time for a timeout. Regroup and attack again.

The version(s) following that would be much easier to maintain and the users will … shut up! :laughing:
Now think about adding new features on top of that must be a blast for everybody?
All this while the competition is crying all the way to the bank and the industry takes notice …

I think there’s a few things in this version that I like so I’m sure I’ll be upgrading in the new year.

BUT, +1 for Steinberg sorting out the myriad bugs… It would be heaven :slight_smile:

Mike.

Agree +1

Not talking bugs but I wonder how much time was wasted on also making an upload to soundcloud option in the export, I mean really?! I also wonder about the turn around of coder employees and continuity, old leave & new arrive while try to work out whats going on with attempts to understand with varying degrees of success.

+1

I was just about to post something similar, it’s not like the vast majority of us are unable to upload to soundcloud or any other web service, under our own steam… i have the same feelings toward vst transit also… 1GB per month is bugger all to put it bluntly… there are MYRIAD FREE web storage systems available… personally i have over 40GB (which cost me precisely ZERO) on skydrive or whatever it’s called this particular nano second, and have been collaborating online for many years without feeling the need for anything else… never used SC upload and probably never will… i have the same feelings toward VST transit too!

Why not budget those Dev hours to sorting existing issues rather than introducing frippery and the potential for MORE issues within those?

I’ll look at Transit of course, but I’ve been sharing projects using BitTorrentSync for a few years now, and an album usually stretches to ~150GBytes by the end. BTSync is a very good option for this because its not stored in the cloud but simply syncs between online computers so the space limit is simply the (smallest synced) hard disk size. I also use GoogleDrive and Dropbox occasionally, but storage isn’t great on these - although both are bigger than Transit.

Mike.

+1
I don’t have great issues with Cubase 8 but agree the bugs that are reported should be the priority before new features are added.

+1
I am with Cubase since day 1 (god i’m old…),have tons of third party plug-ins,all i need is a fast bugless DAW, i care less about new features.But i understand that they run a business and should consider new customers too.

On a different note, i highly expect Steinberg’s new notation program and its integration with Cubase,any news on that?

New synth as a reason to buy a DAW? I’m not agree. The world has changed. Today new users have a lot info about anything they want to buy and of course they’ve heard about free stuff they can get to start with (I mean guys new to music at all). New PRO users like you and the others have all their synths already, so you need to see a different reason to switch from another DAW. And if we’re talking about VSTi’s, Cubase users have been asking for a sampler for a long time, so why another synth? And in the end of it all, if SB is so desperately sure that NEW SYNTH makes people’s day, so take an old one redesign the UI, give new name and that’s it – 5 minutes and voila - bestseller. If they save their time for something useful I will definitely forgive them this kind of cheating. :wink:
New features are welcome and I like new features but only those that help me every day in making music or give me a better workflow… Take a look at Studio One’s Extended FX Chains – this innovation is for a DAW, but all Cubase’s “collaboration” stuff is for Facebook or Google or Skype… MIDI and Drum Editor enhancements are good but half-baked again. Please give me the ability to put my ideas into PC, let me do it easily and quickly and I will find a way to share it with the rest of the world. But nowadays SB supposes another paradigm: “your spade is broken but now it has a cell phone and you can call a man with the same broken spade. (but remember some knobs on the phone are broken either)”. Why? Why did they implement in MediaBay Rack those thumbnails for their own VSTi’s only??? Now I have to click Instruments Tab then HalionSonic SE Tab then HS SE Factory or Trip Tab and then start to search for a preset.

@themarqueeyears
Now a couple of words about business. Cubase is not a vacuum cleaner it’s even not MS Word. SB deals with creative people (btw they declare themselves as creative persons either). When I have to clean my house or work with some documents, tables, or charts I want to finish it as soon as possible because I don’t like this kind of work, so I don’t pay much attention to the tools even they have some bugs or shortcomings, the job has to be done and that’s it. But when I’m doing music production I wanna feel myself happy. Just watch some Pensado’s video when he’s talking about some stuff he says “I love this plug in”. I wanna feel the same about Cubase and I do. But I’m disappointed now because SB goes the wrong way. If they could release updates every month with at least 3 features I would love to have, and 10 features I don’t care of, (+ bug fixing) I would be happy and would not write all this…. But it takes years YEARS. It takes years to implement stuff that nobody asked for and then it takes years to eliminate bugs that come with that stuff. BTW so many little tweaks could be done almost with no time, because I can program them with AutoHotKeys, it’s about nothing….

Cubase is not a simple program (any more). anyone who tries to just use it and “screw that manual or even video tutorials” will not get far. Instead it is called “comprehensive”. Im not sure if ANY program can be simple without needing a manual but “comprehensive” in this day and age. its one or the other. Personally i like the fact that Cubase is comprehensive.

kids that want that “make me a hit” preset use Abelton Live. its that simple.

Follow the money. It’s not coming from pro users. It’s coming from kids who want that “make me a hit” preset. And they want it now…screw the manual or even video tutorials.

Forget Pro vs Amateur or the kids (amateur: meaning doing it for the enjoyment and passion and not for profit, some amateur work is even better quality than some pro etc) this is almost not relevant these days. Pro or amateur will happily pay if they can afford it, whatever the age range, (if it is available for free, many will happily take that too). The strength of word of mouth has never been more important to affect sales, happy customers will talk about it and encourage others to also enjoy what they have found.

If it is there then does it work correctly and if it does not, why not? there is nothing worse than a product that does not function correctly to affect sales. It will quickly out do the inclusion of any bells or whistles or the latest cool feature…(soundcloud export , VST cloud etc, etc). Look at the negative review sites for Hotels, holiday companies, delivery companies, restaurants they are all affected by negative reviews and it has never been easier for word to get around.

It would be a huge mistake for Steinberg to pander to the new generation of instant gratification. That is not to say elegant workflows that helps quicken work are not crucial but this is something different. Where does it end? Soundcloud is not guaranteed to be the future choice where people share their music, so what will Steinberg do now they have opened a can of worms, add every other music service to the Export options? completely unrealistic. They are effectively marketing Soundcloud as a service, did any money change hands?

Steinberg should concentrate on the fact that they are the authors of so many innovations in the Audio sequencer world not least VST. If however they are getting sidetracked by providing what they think the cool kids might want, things might be going a little off track. The ‘Industry’ has changed beyond all recognition in a very short time and technology moves at a rapid pace, get the basics right, protect and build on your innovations do things well, and retain as well as win new customers.

Personally I am trying to stand by the Software and the company I chose a long time ago over the competition becuase it just felt right to me.

i’ve installed C8.5 yesterday and played with it in the studio, till i get a phone call from my wife at 4.00 in the night… there’s a lot of exciting new stuff, but some of the more annoying bugs are still there.
I know it was not only a mere “cosmetic” update, it really has a lot of good new functionalities (being one of the the possibility to hoover the mouse to the edges of the windows to open or close tabs and function windows), but also the new time/pitch strech engine with is really good, and a lot of other things.
But the old bugs (mentioned earlier… i’m not going to repeat them) should be in front of everything else.
New features are very well welcome, but please, fix the bugs before.
I would gladly prefer to wait one whole year before a new version come out (in Christmas 2016), than having new point version in six months just to get some small fixes and new looks.
Please SB take care of all your custumers
Merry Christmas to everybody :slight_smile:

+10

Cubase is currently ahead of the competition when it comes to features, but far behind when it comes to overall polish. Not to mention that so many of it’s features are great ideas, but unfinished and buggy. As someone who’s used most of the popular DAW’s on the market, using cubase is like walking through a familiar mine field; You know where the mines are, but if you drop your guard even for a second…disaster happens. Even though I find cubase generally stable, I know of at least a dozen ways to make it crash, all of which I have to constantly keep in mind, and more importantly, every time I try something new, or try to change my workflow a little, I run into a bug or problem. So unlike other DAW’s on the market, which try to get out of the way as much as possible, in Cubase I have to always be on guard. And frankly, that is no way to make music… it really kills the spontaneity and inspiration.

It sure does…

Well put. Wouldn’t it be nice if you could just get on with your work without that looming crash… Aside from Cubase I use Ableton Live. I can count on one hand the number of times that has crashed in the past year. OK, it’s nowhere near as complex, but sometimes that’s what’s called for.

Pro software should always have a focus on quality. Cubase has so many nice features, but when you touch them sligthly changes are great that you run into odd behaviour (PLE, visability filters, macro, remote editor stuff, etc.). Instead of fixing, more features (hence bugs) are added.

Sad enough it’s a soft/hardware industry standard. If I remember correctly Mackie threw a soundcard on the market without any driver stating you had to use asio4all…(?).

I’m pretty sure that (proven!) focus on quality would be much more attractive then any new feature. Specificly in the long run…

We are all stunned over here that the long standing bugs are still here with 8.5 not to mention the mixer window showstopper on multiple screens in 8.5. Even the guy who’s writing our sampler app is stunned: “It’s not rocket science, and who the hell is beta testing this thing… the end user???” It’s just sad.

Thanks, I needed a laugh…
… (just not a broken rib from doing it so hard)

Business normally works the way where you advertise certain functionality of your good or service, and then negotiate a price and sell the product. If you as a customer buy something that isn’t what it was marketed as being, either by being defective or falsely advertised, then normally you not only have the right to return the good (or service) for a refund, but people actually do this frequently.

Not only that, but when companies refuse to honor that basic legal right lawsuits happen, and companies have to pay up. This happens all the time.

Saying that it’s a business doesn’t even qualify as an argument. Did you hear Volkswagen use that defense when their product didn’t perform as advertised? No? Well then, there you go…

And by the way: This is like the millionth time this happens. It’s always the same;

1. users complain about stuff that isn’t working and say they need that to be a priority
  2. users dream about cool new features and start “wishing-threads”
  3. Steinberg (or other) offer a paid upgrade with new features
    4. USERS PAY FOR IT
  4. users notice persisting bugs as well as new ones
  5. Go back to step 1…

Guess which step is the one which makes it absolutely certain that there will continue to be releases with bugs in them?