And the culprit was...

OK, let’s see the problem from the beginning. Suddenly, after nearly one year of Cubase working without stability problems with my present setup, using Alchemy becomes nearly impossible for more than 4 or 5 minutes and the issue is reproducible at each try (see the threads mentioned in my first post).

Suggestion from Andy, working with Camel Audio : to delete the 2 files named Vst2xPlugins.xml and Vst2xPluginsCubase.xml which are among the preferences files. His answer came exactly 18 minutes after my first post describing the problem. I don’t believe that he would have suggested this as quickly if he didn’t know that these files are subject to corruption. And he is not working for Steinberg, AFAIK.

Result ? Problem solved immediatly ! So, these files were the problem and got corrupted without reason or previous warning. This is why I started this thread, in an angry mood, I admit. But, beside this specific issue, there is a real problem concerning the overall stability of these files which are essential for a correct use of Cubase. I suggested solutions in my last post : who knows ? Maybe someone in Steinberg crew might answer. I’m nor holding my breath, TBH…

Now, when I read from Conman :

Trash pref’s is a funny one but my OPINION is it’s unlikely to be connected to this.

…I’m wondering if he really read all that was related to the issue before making condescending statements about ‘they’ and, more generally, Cubase users who get problems of this kind. System related ? Of course, Conman, we (or ‘they’) are a bunch of amateurs completely unable to setup a decent DAW system. Poinr taken : Cubase preferences files are rock solid, everyone knows that, and trashing the preferences are almost never suggested… :unamused:

I keep on thinking that maybe there is something to do about this, though…

Maybe Conman could state his software engineering experience…?

Trashing the preferences is, or was also one of the solutions for Pro Tools problems so Steinberg is not alone among the “Pro” programs for this anomaly. Still, like you, I also find it an odd suggestion but it does seem to work. Some have suggested a quick fix button whereas others seem to deliberate over the trashing so they can save vital settings.
I did a quick google of “trash preferences” for about ten seconds to find that out. There’s a lot more. If you look about further than this forum you can obtain a much bigger picture of any problem specifically Cubase related or system related.

Again all when I point out “system” it’s because I feel it could be worth a mention. AND NOT BECAUSE I THINK THAT’S THE CAUSE. Because whatever you think you will ignore my advice and carry on. And either way you get to the top of the pile again for more posters to see your thread and help YOU.
I do not comment on other’s posts that I feel are incorrect. Why? Because it’s pointless. I don’t get personal. That’s for kids in bedrooms.

And if I told the whole truth there would be a few breakdowns. :mrgreen:

Suggestion from Andy, working with Camel Audio : to delete the 2 files named Vst2xPlugins.xml and Vst2xPluginsCubase.xml which are among the preferences files. His answer came exactly 18 minutes after my first post describing the problem. I don’t believe that he would have suggested this as quickly if he didn’t know that these files are subject to corruption. And he is not working for Steinberg, AFAIK.

These files may be subject to corruption (and please do correct me if I am wrong on info from your sig.) if used with the 32 bit Cubase in a 64bit OS. When mixed systems are used someone somewhere is going to find the inevitable weak spots. Not your fault. I don’t know if anyone can say for certain that those files a subject to corruption (did he actually say that?) but Windows may have thrown a spanner in (top-techspeak) there somewhere.
Can you find a crashdump (.log) file anywhere? Usually on the C drive.

Both statemens above are incorrect.

Paragraph 1) You did quite a bit of “i’m not going to say who but someone thinks they know it all…” above in this very thread.

Paragraph 2) Based on what informtaion could you possibly surmise that 32bit cubase on a 64bit OS would cause file corruption? Completely bogus. This further underscores how unhelpful the advice you’ve been giving is. It’s based on no fact at all. I’m not saying you don’t know how to get around in Cubase, but you’re way off on most everything else. That’s why folks get so frustrated with you.

And still you talk about me rather than help the OP. You tell me what’s bogus Mr Expert. Go on. I shall wait for the absolute silence… Yawn.
I don’t buy my computers from a Sears catalog. I build my own and take my time doing it and if I can’t fathom some problem I go to a guy that does know.

Truth time.
Which folks get so frustrated with me? The ones who don’t have friends to go to in the real world that would fix their problems twenty times quicker than moaning on a forum from a bedroom somewhere.
And why haven’t they got any friends? Because, from their rude and insulting behaviour that they show here, no-one wants to know them. With manners like that you’d run a pretty empty studio.

There’s a thread about the slowness of the Media Bay. The OP was pretty convinced that it was Cubase (probably from reading posts here). It wasn’t. It was a hard drive. He went out. Probably asked some real world advice and got back here with an apology (which I didn’t think was needed) and A PROBLEM FIXED which is a win in my book.
All I’m doing is trying to make everyone a winner.
But some are determined to be losers. Go figure.

I’m out of this one. Enough. PM me with that silence, Lights, old bean because I’m kicking this thread into touch. :mrgreen:

Conman: the point is you have no knowledge if how software is built and you fabricate your answers based on complete ignorance. End of story.

Putting together off the shelf parts to make your PC is no more of a qualification than being able to install your own software.

Ah! You have me there. :mrgreen: What with your great knowledge but nothing much to say about anything besides ME apparently. With a convenient lack of detail that betrays a plugger just looking for a fight.
Yep. Just slap a computer together. Chances are that it won’t work with anything as intricate as Cubase with any great security.
Tell me something or help the OP but don’t waste our time with stupid bedroom-boy pointless nitpicking. Please and pretty please with sugar on top. Stop hijacking threads with this nonsense. I don’t do it and neither do most of the forum members.
Then someone might even think you know more about Cubase and systems than just picking a fight.
It’s got nothing to do with me that you can’t face the truth about yourself. You’re welcome to it. :mrgreen:

I owe the OP an apology for actually bothering to reply to such nonsense.
I shall now cease this thread as it has run it’s course.

Conman/Dean: I haven’t any earthly idea why the VSTcache is getting corrupted. I didn’t write Cubase and I don’t know when and how the code reads and writes to the file. I don’t think any user of Cubase without source and symbols could answer the OP’s question.

Nobody who knows will respond when you weigh in on a thread and turn it into a mess. That happened long ago, so now it’s just about you. So I’m using this thread as an example so you’ll think twice before doing that again.

You proved above in your comment about how running a 32bit app on a 64bit OS causes file corruption that you are just making stuff up. I’m glad you can put one together, but it doesn’t mean you can debug the software running on it.

Peace,
-D.