Andrew Zeleno Review of Cubase 9. Automation tip

An interesting review by an old pro:

• 5:53 using 3 fingers to edit faster (tool switching)
  • 6:32 fade in/out demonstration of setting it using mouse movement on the info line
  • 7:30 importance of cutting down visual distractions, C9 mouse wheel especially useful
  • 11:09 he prefers “fixed number of slots” in mixer rack settings, to minimize display items jumping around (a visual distraction)
    He stores these kind of settings as a template.
  • 17:53 Cubase sometimes has bloat that obscures workflow. For example (18:45) A|B comparisons in C8, since fixed.
  • 20:30 doing A|B Comparisons - use short periods of sound, switch quickly
  • 24:04 C9 has a lot of dark grey, now in the key editor too. He explains it’s to reduce eye strain over the hours.
  • 25:38 Mixer history doesn’t capture all the events.
  • 31:13 Automation. He says it’s the worst part of Cubase, ProTools is best here.
  • 34:38 Automation. Getting the fader to go back to normal when you release it, instead of staying at the position it had upon release. he places an automation point near the end.
  • 36:04 He likes way you can organize plugins, measure delay time of external plugins (latency compensation)

His critique of Automation starts with not liking the separate lanes in the track list. (32:15) Temporarily raising/lowering a volume fader is clumsy. (He doesn’t seem to know about using a square wave to speed that up, but he does show us a nice method using the mouse and info line.) (32:47) Cubase reduce the number of automation points in a way that works for dramatic fader changes, but not for subtle changes. He demonstrates the problem at 33:50. He shows us the fix at 34:09 – Automation Settings > Reduction Level – set to 0.

Wow. It seems like I would have noticed this before, but got the same behavior here. Has this been reported?

It seems to be timer-based in order to keep the number of separate History entries reasonable, but the timer is a bit higher than it needs to be.

I watched it too. It has interesting points but it’s hardly gospel.

Good call! No wonder I haven’t noticed it. Somewhere around 8-10 seconds here.

Not exactly anything new or useful in that video.
But I guess it’s not ment as a tutorial, although it is clearly for pimping online courses.

Thanks for posting, ColinPark! The guy definitely has a high signal to noise ratio. In checking out some of his others also, parallel compression now, he’s consistently pretty good :slight_smile: .