Announcing: Dorico Expression Map Editor 1.0!

It’s an updated version of a standalone app which facilitates editing large Dorico expression maps. See the first post of this thread for details.

I’ve just released version 1.2 of Dorico Expression Map Editor to add support for Dorico 5. Specifically, base switch delay is now editable in the app, and apply stage template settings, pitch bend range, and microtonal playback method are maintained in expression map files.

Dorico Expression Map Editor is a standalone app which facilitates editing Dorico expression maps by importing and exporting Dorico libraries. Please see the first post in this thread for more info.

To update from within the app, select Dorico Expression Map Editor menu > Check for Updates. Or, you can download a new copy at the link at the top of this thread:

4 Likes

Amazing and useful looking tool David - great work. I’ll take it there’s still no progress towards a Windows version on the horizon.?

2 Likes

Yes, it contains all the basic copy/sort/filter features I and a number of others were hoping and asking for in Dorico 4 after the giant leap with D3 and 3.5 which was one of the things which convinced me to buy Dorico in the first place. Unfortunately, despite one or two enhancements in D5, it looks like this area has been somewhat neglected – understandable perhaps with all the competing priorities (I mean here in Steinberg in general, not just Dorico as of course D4 had the small matter of new licensing among other things) but I’m sure the team will return to it. In the meantime, Mac users at any rate have reason to be grateful.

2 Likes

Thanks! Just getting back to this after a busy summer. I still hope to do a Windows version, maybe this fall.

5 Likes

A Windows version will be an immediate purchase for me,.

3 Likes

Hello @Eggsalad,
The idea about D.E.M.E. for Windows is amazing! :slight_smile:
I would gladly assist if you need testers for it.

I have an idea about your tool, that will make the creation of E.M sets much easier and faster, even for people without any experience to create even complex maps.

1. Would be nice if your tool provides automatic - Generic starting points for all Orchestral and Band instruments.
  • These generic starting points should include the most commonly used techniques/articulations per instrument/section basis. The articulations should contain blank CC, KS and PC
  • Most commonly the dynamics for the short articulation are controlled by the Velocity or primary - Velocity and secondary ModWheel. And vice versa for the longer articulations.
  • This feature could also gives an option to decide what we are going to use for the techniques - KS, CC, or PC before at the beginning of the creation process.
  • Many large Expression Maps sets were already created by many of us, so many of them could be useful for the Generic starting points.
  1. Library Manager-like tool for the Expression Maps (could be called Expression Maps Manager).
  • For this feature probably the team behind @dspreadbury could help you somehow?!
    Would be really great if we can compare Expression Maps sets side, by side, add mappings from one another and making changes.
  • That way we could also insert mappings from previously created sets to the generic ones in order to improve them much faster.
  • Most probably an additional “Mode” - Manager will be needed.

Best wishes,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, @Thurisaz !

Expression map templates are a good idea. I probably wouldn’t have time to create them, but if users contributed them, I could package and integrate them with the app, with features to select their location, etc.

Just to clarify the expression map manager idea, which I think is also good, but obviously much bigger to implement: when you mention comparing expression map “sets”, do you imagine grouping expression maps in some way, not just displaying several side-by-side?

1 Like

Hi @Eggsalad,

I’m glad that you find the ideas of mine interesting and good! :slight_smile:

• By the way this one will be the easier of both for integration. :slight_smile:
    The Expression Maps sets for BBC SO Pro, Orchestral Tools - Berlin Series, Cremona Quartet…
    available on this forum are good enough to serve as a starting point for a new Expression / Percussion Maps sets.
  • Just the CC, KS and PC should be removed. About the dynamics… most of the library are using the same assignments.
  • Correct! Not only for side-by-side comparison, but also for transferring techniques (Base, Add-on, Combined) and mappings.
  • Take a look at the video about the Library Manager here:
  • Of course, if you decide to dedicate such amount of work over those features we wouldn’t expect the app to be free of charge. You could list some price, or make an obligatory donation at some amount of money.
  • After all if the tool will save us a serious amout of time it would be fair to pay some money for it.
    There are many large libraries on the market that don’t have shared Expression / Percussion Maps sets and currently the creation process could take months…

Best wishes,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pleased to say I’ve just released version 1.3 of Dorico Expression Map Editor to add support for Dorico 5.1 monophonic legato.

No news yet, I’m afraid, on a Windows version.

To update from within the app, select Dorico Expression Map Editor menu > Check for Updates. Or, you can download a new copy at the link at the top of this thread:

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

1 Like