Annoying Issue: "Hide All Automation" removes automation lanes!

Repro:

part 1

• add track
  • open/show automation lanes
  • add multiple autom. lanes
  • use command ‘hide automation’
  • use command ‘show automation’
    –you will see automation setup is retained as you left it

part2

• with the same lanes open
  • use command ‘Hide All Automation’
  • use command ‘show automation’
    –you will see your setup is gone

I had done a bunch of preliminary automation lane organizing (very time consuming) for all tracks in my template, so that when automation was opened, everything I would typically want at hand would be there ready.

Well, after I finished all this template work - I used the ‘Hide All Automation’ command, and it undid hours of this template work. HOURS.

This is misleading contradicting language and inconsistent behavior across commands.

If I use the single track commands ‘Hide Automation’ and ‘Show Automation’, it just minimizes the Automation Lanes, it doesn’t remove their expanded visibility:
single track

If I use the ‘Hide All Automation’ command, it removes their expanded visibility:
hide all

Damn, did that ever annoy me. I went through bouts of anxiety completing that template… hundreds of tracks, multiple lanes each, organized in logical orders.

There needs to be differentiation between

-Minimize Automation Lanes
-Maximize Automation Lanes

and

-Hide - I guess should mean what it actually means - and “remove” the lanes from being visible in their expanded state. But you wouldn’t want to use “remove” as a user might conflate that with deleting automation.

I’ve unbinded this key faulty command now, and will instead use a custom PLE/Macro

Time to take a walk and clear this frustration.

1 Like

Can you simply write a bug report repro? This would be the clearest way to make the report.

thats basically it

Do the lanes contain data? Some automation points?

no, it shouldn’t matter as seen in example 1

But it does matter

Why? What are you saying?

It should work EXACTLY the same, the only difference is that one is for the selected track, and the other is for all tracks. Other than that, by their description name, they should operate exactly the same.

What is it that does matter? you’re not saying anything

already stated… data
if there is no data the global commands do nothing
you can write initial data on project creation, maybe this works in templates as well,
never tried it

Bro read the thread. Look at the first example. It’s a complete operational contradiction. I don’t care that you think data points need to be written - because they clearly don’t need to be in one example - explain that if what you say is true, which is clearly not true, because that’s clearly not the case.

If it’s intentional design, then it’s an intentionally shi!!y inconsistent design - and my thread remains not negated.

If it’s an unintentional design, then it’s pretty much a bug or at the very least, an oversight design flaw and lack of differentiated commands or at most, poorly named commands and my thread remains not negated by what you’re saying.

Not interested in a solution? So I’m out…

I’m already aware that the data points can be written and would be preserved open. I don’t want data points to be written and baked into the template which contradicts the point of doing this in the template for workflow efficiency because I will have to deal with those points later on.

My contention here with this thread is that

‘Hide Automation’
and
‘Show Automation’

Only minimizes the automation tracks into the host track

while

‘Hide All Automation’
removes and minimizes the automation tracks.

Sorry it just doesn’t have to do with data points, it didn’t really seem like you were giving a solution and more stating that what I’ve showcased here is proper or intended or not a bug or whatever when there’s clearly a conflict in design here that cost me some hours. I’m already well aware of how the automation points would be handled.

This removes only empty automation lanes… so it has to do with data

My contention here with this thread is that

‘Hide Automation’
and
‘Show Automation’

Only minimizes the automation tracks into the host track

while

‘Hide All Automation’
removes and minimizes the automation tracks.

to make it clear… it works as it should since 15years
and there is no need for a change

Wrong, it has been a bug for 15 years, and I have found many 15 year long bugs.

It’s completely illogical.

‘Hide Automation’
and
‘Show Automation’
is for single/selected channels

‘Hide All Automation’
is for all channels.

Tell me this is logical that they behave completely different in their end result and I would never let you near a rocket building site.

It has been a bug for 15 years and the “Hide All Unused Automation” command somehow glitched and took over “Minimize All Automation” command

Because that would make sense

Tell me that I’m right and that you love me

1 Like

I agree with LoveGames, this is a bug, I just tried it.
“Hide all automation” really deletes all unused automation. The menu item should be renamed “Hide all used automation and delete all unused automation”, but this is probably too long name for a menu item. Better to change the function so it ONLY hides all automation, regardless of used/unused. I will try to submit a bug report, you probably already have done so. I am on latest version, Cubase 11.0.10.

if automation is unused there is nothing to delete… there is no data

1 Like

It’s ‘deleting’ the track from being visible as set by the user, ‘remove’ is a better word.