Annual Request: Ability to insert plug pre-Sends

The point I’m trying to make… which I’ve -been- trying to make for 20 years… is that a DAW should offer totally free routing.

I contend that DAWs, either subtly or not so subtly push people towards making music in very predictable ways. It happens with things like the limits on grids (look how long it took just to get -triplets-)

The more you can make a DAW work like a real desk, but while maintaining a clean UI, the better. And patch points are a big part of it.

On another, related point, I used to ‘mult’ all the time—basically a Y cord. Now, we all duplicate tracks every day to accomplish the same thing. But it’s NOT the same thing. Being able to -easily- route a track to multiple destinations would be an amazing improvement.

I would love to be able to simultaneously output one track to another input track as well as a group or an FX. There should be no difference. A track should be a track should be a track.

That might make sense if you are someone who is always working alone, but having infinite routing possibilities and them differentiating from project to project being shared between multiple engineers in a commercial facility would be a nightmare. Worse if the projects are being shared between different facilities/teams.

tbh, It sounds like you should move to Reaper and participate in the forums there… it seems more catered to developing for every individual and niche needs rather than unified approach and topology.

Not if the “red line’s” default location is behind slot 16, there won’t be any difference to the routing. Having an off-state by default makes it completely optional.
The worst thing that could happen is when opening a project in a previous Cubase version the pre-send would become a post-fader, an ‘issue’ in the same ballpark as losing your automation curve.

Or maybe route all of the pre-send inserts just to send slot 1 and the rest remain dry? Less options but might be a cleaner workflow.

If there already a solution for this is, forgive me…

For years i’m wondering why is isn’t there a post FX send EQ?
For example you have a big boom but you don’t want to have the 30-100hz create a very muddy reverb tail, just hipass the send EQ below 100hz. . or you don’t want the top end of a vocal to create shimmer traces in the reverb, just lowpass the 3000+ frequencies
Or you don’t want the bottom end of a piano in the delay, just filter it out.

That way you can just keep your master reverb or delay and you don’t need multiple instances
It seems very logical to me to have such a thing.

Geert.