Annual Request: Equal height vertical spacing in Key Editor

Currently in Key Editor, there is extra vertical space between B and C, as well as E and F.
This might be handy for some workflows, but it breaks visual recognition of chords because the spaces between pitches do not correspond to semitones.

In equally spaced piano roll, where each semitone has same height as others, a chord will always have same amount of empty vertical space between its notes, no matter which key it is played from. This makes it easy to recognize chords based on their vertical pattern.

In Key Editor as it is now, a major chord has a visual pattern like augmented chord when in C, F, F#, G, or like a minor chord with fifth in bass when in C#, D, D#, E, G#, A, or like a major chord with fifth in bass when in A# and B. Attached is a screenshot to illustrate this.

If any of developers see this, please consider adding the option to remove empty vertical space between B and C and E and F in Key Editor.
Equal vertical spacing corresponds to what is actually heard in 12TET and is more convenient for people coming to Cubase from other DAWs.

+1

Wow, for some reason I’ve never even thought about that. But it would make a lot of sense and would be nice, and how hard could that be to implement? They could even make it optional in preferences if for some reason some people wanted to keep the extra space.

+1 from me!

+1

+1

+1

+1.

+1

+1

Only if they make this a setting. The extra space makes the octaves and half steps clearer, specially when the editor is zoomed out.

@Romantique Tp, yes, if all composers are programmers and doing their job by moving boxes in key editor. They always start their songs from one note (first after space) - it’s easiest to find it at night :slight_smile:

But I think that many proffesionals need to read scales as visual pictures, hieroglyphs as well. Therefore spaces are disturbing.

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

I’m in a chat server with several composers and we’re all gawking over how annoying this is, even if several of us have gotten used to it.

+1

+1

+1

This would be a useful, meaningful improvement for musicians working in MIDI. Eminently logical, please implement if possible. Thanks.

+1
In Cubasis for iOS the spacing is equal, so I assume Steinberg is open minded regarding this issue :wink:.