Annual Request: Paste Time (Shared Copies)

Another flailing request from over a decade… and a deficiency w Global Copy/Paste IMO.

There should be a way to ‘Paste Time With Shared Copies’… ie. when you paste, the new events/parts should be ‘shared copies’ and not ‘real copies’. Yes, I know it respects existing shared copies, BUT this is different. I want the ‘real’ events/parts from the source material to become ‘shared copies’ so that any editing I do on Verse I automatically carries over to Verse II.

Not sure how this would work as ‘Time’ is literally time, and not a particular event or part.

I think what you want is just regular object based ‘Paste’ but with ‘As shared copy’

and or

you want to be able to initiate a group of events/parts as “parent” events within the ‘shared copy’ protocol which could be signified with a small event/part share icon, so that when they are copied, whether with typical object copy or ‘time copy/pate’, they are shared copies.

+1, as the only way I think to obtain shared copies is by doing ‘Repeat’ which isn’t representative of many workflow situations.

edit

And this is maybe an event based setting that could be added to the info line

This is exactly -my- workflow. (or rather it -should-) And one of the ways that ‘Copying/Pasting Should Be Make Much Simpler’.

I think MANY OF US, start work on ‘Verse I’, then want to quickly copy to a ‘Verse 2’… just as a draft.

THEN, we want to continuously ‘polish’. We want to be able to tweak Verse 2, but then know that our work will go back and update Verse 1 and maybe Verse 3. And we want to have that automatic updating proceed throughout the composing life cycle.

We do NOT like ‘Arranger Tracks’ because they’re clunky. We simply want to be able to work on ‘verses’ or ‘sections’ and Cubase AUTOMATICALLY ‘know’ that our work updates all related bits. Which means that we expect Cubase to learn which bits -are- related to one another.

Eg. Another feature I have long wanted is the ability to convert a Shared Copy to a Real Copy, edit it and then have that new version auto-magically update all the other Shared Copies with this new version. I can see a function like “Apply edits to all selected Parts”.

That’s the kind of simplification and -intelligence- that Cubase should have–rather than constantly relying on chopping/pasting with Ranges.

for fks sake you perpetually make everything more complicated. Did I explain what you want or not? IT’S - NOT - EXACTLY - CLEAR.

Arranger Tracks are fking great, you can create 10 different arrangements and audition them at the click of a button. No it’s not a final product at the end, that’s not the point. It’s to quickly audition different potential arrangements, quicker than copying and pasting, and editing. You don’t need to criticize Arranger Tracks to make your case for your idea.

Stop making every one of your posts so darn confusing and non-simple.

Eg. Another feature I have long wanted is the ability to convert a Shared Copy to a Real Copy, edit it and then have that new version auto-magically update all the other Shared Copies with this new version. I can see a function like “Apply edits to all selected Parts”.

Make a different request thread first of all, instead of clouding this thread with a separate idea. and secondly - does this make sense? Why not just edit it as a shared copy if you plan to apply it to the other ones? Don’t even answer this question. just make a god damn separate thread.

No need for this sort of tone…

I’ve been trying to help this guy and he’s done nothing but attack me on the forums, so, hard love.

sincerely,
love games

I don’t want your ‘help’. I’ve never attacked you. In fact, I’ve asked you repeatedly–and far more politely than you deserve–to simply ignore my posts.

The motivation is actually to stop seeing ‘Annual Request’ more than it is to help you. Just be clear dude. Practice reduction in your comm skills, instead of addition.

thanks

I happen to think the “Annual Request” device is helpful. It identifies issues we feel are important, have posted about in the past, and have seen no response from SB. I have an annual request that has asked again and again for a bug in a feature I use frequently to be fixed. It’s a bug. It should be addressed. Without flagging it as an annual request, a lot of readers, including those at SB, might not realize this issue has been around as long as it has.

So, if you don’t like Annual Request posts, please just skip them.

My contention is that the reason they seem to be perpetually Annual Requests, at least in many instances, is that the idea or request isn’t all that clear or communicated well, or even sensical.

guys can we all just get along and be friends?