Annual Wavelab Feature Request: Spectral Editing Like RX6

+1!

Is this coming as a revision/update for 9… or do we have to wait for (and purchase) 10 to receive this improvement ?

As you have noted in the recent years, the “habit” has been taken to release .5 versions…

Reaper has just introduced their version of it, and it’s not unique by any means these days…even Adobe Audition’s is quite respectable, so the challenge is there to make it as powerful as Rx …here is the Reaper video demonstration, just a few days old: Spectral Editing in REAPER - YouTube

the challenge is there to make it as powerful as Rx

Or better…

Ooooooh. The gauntlet is thrown down. :smiley:

One other thing that the new one (RX6) has -really- improved on is a ‘sound finder’ (I’m probably using the wrong term as I’m not at my DAW). Anyhoo, you select one spot in the audio that is dodgy and then you hit a ‘Find Similar’ command and it then auto-magically selects them -all- as blobs for processing en masse. And it works -amazingly- well. -That- may be a bit outside of WL’s paradigm, but I just wanted you to know where the competition was at.

As ever,

—JC

… and then there’s SpectraLayers’ great selection tools: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cpGj7eApiM

True; selection of multiple harmonics is high on my list (Acoustica also has that one).

:open_mouth:

This is to be encouraged, since we are still left with the outdated, coarse grained and quite unsophisticated Sonnox DeNoiser ( I haven’t tried De-Clicker or De-Buzzer to comment on whether they are similarly underpowered) , which is hardly a serious restoration toolkit now in 2017.

I’m still checking out the Spectral Editor, but it seems the most obvious thing it’s missing compared to RX is the “Find Similar” function. Are there plans to add something like that?

The new editor has Multiple Selection. Harmonic selection. Audio inpainting/heal. Magic Wand. Anything I’m missing?

Has anyone who used to use RX exclusively switched over from RX to Wavelab for spectral editing?

Hi,

Well this is a switch. I’m always the know-nothing. But I’ve been using RX for a while =specifically= because because of the absolutely wonderful spectral editing. I am -just- diving into WL 9.5. The thing about the WL ui is that it is for ‘power users’–which is great once you get the hang of it, but it’s not always ‘instant gratification’.

For example multiple selections. This is super simple in RX. It’s not nearly as -obvious- in WL, but once you figure out the ‘trick’ you get the job done all the same.

I will say that the in-painting–which I initially thought might be something that an SB engineer put in just to be ‘clever’ (but not actually useful). I was -wrong-. It’s --super-- useful. BUT it requires a LOT of practice. I do a lot of work in Photoshop and it reminds me a lot of Photoshop’s band-aid and clone tools. It takes trial and error to figure out the best ‘strategy’, but after a few misses, when it works, it can be miraculous.

Right now, I’m still using RX when I have obvious repetitive clicks–until I see if WL can do the same. My -hope- is to be able to figure it out in WL and jettison RX entirely. When I do, I’ll post back here with any tips.

Sorry for the partial non-answer. Hope it helped at least a little.

Best,

—JC