Another booring bug/issue regarding strip silence

Well, after I had the same error-message/crash while using Autotune (as offline processor) I went on with the 64bit version. I can not tell regarding the editing/strip silence thing cause I was not editing here anymore…

But now I had the problem that damn Autotune is still no 64 bit, internal bitbridge is not working but jbridge is. Now I had only ugly crashes because of Autotune errors/bugs (fortunately only when using the Bass Instrument setting for tuning fretless bass). At 2 am after a 14 h session I finally had to tune those parts in Wavelab and import back to Nuendo.

Software… baaah.

Interesting thing here:

Autotune in 5.5.2 was working very well, in 32 bit and via jbridge in 64 bit. Remember the 560 track monsterproject? The “don’t do this, Brandy” thing? I tuned one full day choir vocals AFTER the mix was nearly done, at 80% CPU. Not one single glitch.

Though I love 5.5.3 features a lot and though people say that it is the most solid release, I have to disagree. I have all kind of bugs, smaller and bigger issues as well as crashes during the day. I changed not much on my system during the last months, just installed latest Nuendo, latest Cubase and latest Waves…

I don’t know what your experience is with Melodyne, but I was done with Autotune the moment I laid hands on Melodyne. Since this is quite a while ago I would not know how well the latest Autune version function, though.
If I we ever get Peter Neubaecker to finish and release the new Melodyne Studio Version incl. DNA and lots of new stuff more, we will see a real beast, I guess. They still keep it hush-hush. Peter…WHEN?? We wait for almost 4 years, now.
That in mind, their Capstan software is an extremely valuable tool, but with an hefty price tag, too. No problem if you are into large-scale tape restauration for e.g. government achives, but too expensive for using it only 3 times a year.
I tested it on a small reel of 50 years old rather abused 1/4 inch tape and it truly worked wonders. The precious unique recording would have been lost for ever, otherwise.

Big K

I’m a little bit unsure from your description as to whether Nuendo was better behaved in the 64 bit version for you? Try and remove the plug-in variables from the equation.

Quick Feedback:

I was using the Process Explorer - well, RAM is not the culprit.

A song has about 1,3 GB in Process Explorer (lets call it PE) and 1,25 GB in windows Taskmanager. After some serious hard and heavy editing like described in the beginning I am at 1,4 GB in PE resp 1,35 GB in TM. Here I should be quite safe in Win 64 bit, even in a 32 bit host.

I was not testing the stability in 64 bit host, but now it is clear: PE and TM are showing quite similar RAM usage as well as this is not a RAM thing.

It seems to be just a regular (One of dozens) Nuendo bugs.

Are you sure you’re looking at the correct part of PE? That tripped me up initially as I was getting similar readings with PE and TM. You need to enable the Virtual Size.

Attached is a screenshot showing the difference on a fairly small session (although with quite a lot of drum edits).

Mh, well - indeed the Virtual Size is about two times as large. But does this make sence? Now even a “medium sized” project BEFORE any editing and stuff comes close to a critical number - I was working for years with projects like that, usually even twice or tree times as big, both in XP 32 as well as in Win7 64 (32bit host)

I still do not think that my issue regarding strip silence after drum-quantize is a memory thing, and IF it is then something should be fixed, because I am still well below critical RAM areas were usually nothing bad happens in other versions/projects. But I have to say that I never did that strip-silence thing directly after editing/bouncing. Usually later down the road.