Another day, Another Cubase 12 problem

Since upgrading from 11 it has been CONSTANT problems. Mainly plugin related, but just everything else, too. Which is WAY unusual for Steinberg products in my experience.

Now when I load SSL Vocal Strip Cubase Pro 12 crashes. Every time. I updated everything. I reinstalled everything.

This is a new and small project file, too. I used this plugin last week just fine… then ran the 12.0.00.0000000.0…0.0.0.20 or whatever , and yeah… issues with Serum, SSL, Softube, on and on. This SSL one is the worst though. The others I could fix. Which I shouldn’t have to…

It literally insta-closes Cubase when I try to load it - with 0 log file recorded.

I rarely, in 25 years, have had these kinds of issues with DAWs. Cubase Pro 12 was not ready for release.

STEINBERG: I am usually a very positive person, but this is SERIOUSLY ridiculous and I have seriously had it. Please don’t release such unstable Software again. I thought you all above this. Isnt this professional Software? That means you know… time is money, time not to be wasted!

Ive ranted. Ill write SSL because my last contact with Steinberg was like, “GEEZE. THANKS, GUYS!”

Hi,

I’m sorry to hear that.

Please, make sure all your plug-ins are up to date.

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 12:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase12

Nuendo 12:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo12

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

1 Like

This procdump64 suggestion unfortunately does not work with most plugin vendors, so it is not really helpful.

@zombemy
I had to reinstall/update some plugins which caused some problems when updating to C12, that fixed my issues.
But Cubase should still not crash, even if the plugins crash. Would be nice if you could leave a vote here if you think the same:

Solution to crashes by plugins - Sandboxing (Crash protection) - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

1 Like

Absolute! I have problems with Cubase 12, and I just installer everything from scratch including Windows!
Steinberg - make please Sand Boxing to Cubase, so it won’t crash when plugin crashesh! Please

Will be great to have it for sure! I think it’s in Bitwig, right?

Did you try Safe Mode which should hopefully show whether or not it’s an issue with a plug-in?