Another how to do in nuendo like in PT post...

Hi fellows
I’m helping to install Nuendo in the post production center of a big french broadcaster.
I’m a Nuendo user since…like ever, but my friends who are crossing the gate are kind of lost, so they asked me a lot of ‘‘how to …’’ and maybe you can help (because i never had any of theses question coming to my mind).
so there’s a list to be continued:
-how can we see if a sound has been ‘‘offline processed’’ in the timeline? (PT rename it with the process name like: sound2RXdialogdenoize…) is there a way to do that or something else?
-Is there a shortcut way to zoom/unzoom the waveforms?
-is there a way to select all the files between two files in the time line , i know i can click and select all the sound under the mouse but for do these you need to click on an empty area at first , so how can you make it if you don’t have any empty space on your timeline?

i will had some more in the future,
thanks a lot
:wink:

1. Audio->Open Offline process history
    Show them how you can delete one process in the middle of a cue :mrgreen:
  2. I use: Zoom ->Zoom to selection and undo zoom a lot I don’t think there’s a way to zoom the waveform via key command, only via the slider. Steinberg?
  3. I don’t think that’s possible. Anyone?

thanks Oliver
yes for the 1 i already show them this!!! :laughing:
but they want to know if there is a way to see that there were process on the timeline without doing anything, like:
this one had a denoize process this one didn’t…
that’s kind of tricky for me …
and i’m sure there’s gonna be a lot more like:
how to slide a two mono track to a stereo :cry:
but i hope they are going to see the cool things too

Okay, I would always judge those things from listening to the clips, but maybe they could use the color tool for that. It remembers the last used color, so you could have it set up to e.g. red as a warning and then use a key command to switch tools.

Also, if you process shared clips and write new files, Nuendo will add a Number in brackets to the clip. So if you make a copy of the imported AAF onto disabled (and locked) tracks hidden in a folder Nuendo will do this and you will see things from those numbers. (This is also cool practice, since you can go back to the original edit quickly).

As always: People will need to adjust the workflow…

Don’t get yourself into the terrible situation where you act like a salesperson / fan. Some things are just better for certain workflows in different DAWs, Nuendo has A LOT to offer, but for some things other DAWs are better. Also there is personal taste and some people just don’t like too flexible solutions and want a little more conservative/restrictive ways of approaching things. Maybe PT is the better DAW for those kinds of people.

There’s a nice ebook from Yamaha:

It’s for Nuage system users, but it really includes a lot of tips for people coming from PT.

I think you’re right for all you said,

Also there is personal taste and some people just don’t like too flexible solutions and want a little more conservative/restrictive ways of approaching things. Maybe PT is the better DAW for those kinds of people.

:laughing: :laughing:
it seems obvious to me right now

A sound that has been processed offline get a number within brackets audio(1) etc. In the description. The original file name does NOT change. The edit files and how it works is strange for anyone coming from PT, RTFM is probably needed.
To help visualise at a glance I have a defined color that I set a sound that has been processed to make it visually stand out. But unfortunately the name does not say what processing was done to it.

Hi ErikG
your solution seems to be right but a way to automate this color to a process would be great…

and for the waveform vertical zoom there is a way with the nuage(ZOOM]
turn the [JOG WHEEL] while holding down [SHIFT] and [ALT]), you can zoom in/out of waveform displays but i can’t found it so i can’t allowed it to a shortcut…

if you have any thoughts about it…
Thanks guys

Unfortunately Suparill, vertical zoom is a most requested shortcut AFAIK in Nuendo/Cubase land like posted here for instance …

To automatically assign a color after hitting process you would have to create a macro using a third party macro program. It would have to hit enter (to process) and then run a PLE macro to set its predefined color.

how to slide a two mono track to a stereo

This is not possible, a great feature of PT I would like to see in Nuendo. It’s great for working with OMF or AAF.

I’m not sure if I understand you correctly, the function to “convert” multiple mono to stereo or the other way is possible in Nuendo.
Look in the project > convert tracks menu
Or just change it’s output routing to a stereo bus
Does that help ?