Another mockup with NotePerformer

Hi,

I’ve just tried another orchestral mockup with Dorico. Since here we are going into the big companies territory, I’ll just let you guess the piece, and declare myself ready to destroy my files and punish myself if ordered so. In any case, I did this just for study, as allowed by the law of some countries.

It’s only Dorico and NotePerformer. No editing of any sort (apart for replacing a sound missing in NP). Not yet ideal, but NotePerformer is day after day more surprising.

The Big Ending Music

Paolo

3 Likes

I’m not familiar with the piece but I hear a Scriabinesque gesture. Sounds good!

1 Like

Thank you for your attention! Yes, absolutely recalling Prométhée, and in general Scriabin’s harmony based on fourth intervals. With some hints of Schoenberg. And I’ve found tasteful orchestration details clearly inspired to Berg’s Violin Concerto. And isn’t the coda the ending of Stravinsky’s Firebird?

It’s quiet unusual in the film scoring panorama. But it’s the first in a series of sci-fi films where composers have been often called to experiment something new. This score is, in my view, one of the masterworks of one of the film music titans.

Paolo

I dont know the piece. It sounded like Ravel or Respighi. But more to the point, the realisation is very impressive. (I particularly liked the out of tune flute at 0:20! ). Perhaps the trumpeter could have taken a breath more often…
David

That’s a brilliant ending! Could it be even John Williams?

Somehow I’ve gotten the feeling that noteperformer starts to sound really good when the texture is very full, like these big orchestral tuttis. Here is another example with noteperformer, it is an orchestration/arrangement I wrote some time ago:

Listening back to this, I feel there is definetely a tendency to prefer dense orchestration over more sparse… But when I heard it live it still seemed to work quite well in terms of balance.

(EDIT: I tried a link but it didn’t work, so there is a really low quality mp3 version attached :D)

EDIT 2: This seems to work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1t68r610d8u7n9k/Arrangement%20with%20noteperformer.mp3?dl=0

I’ve started using it lately. For the music I do, which largely has no slurs, it can be a bit articulated, but apart from that, the strings do have very good phrasing.

I’m using it in conjunction with GPO, which allows me to have Cellos and Basses at the octave for one Dorico player. GPO can sometimes be better for obbligato solo wind and brass; the keyboards are all superb, too.

The thing I like most about NotePerformer is that when I press stop, the instruments carry on for a little bit, like real performers…!

2 Likes

Hola despues de gastar miles de € en bibliotecas de diferentes compañias creo que tendre que estar de acuerdo contigo en que la opcion mas comoda ,tranquila y barata es noteperformer pk resulta comodo y tiene un sonido muy bueno :grinning:

Thank you David! I think NP generates woodwinds after the first one by slightly detuning them. In this case, it has to generate three flutes, so the last one can be noticeably out of tune.

Sampo, JW would be very sad for this statement! It is, in fact, his perpetual archrival!

Your example is very effective, and I agree that NP can produce better results with a denser arrangement. Small ensemble, and larger ones, and a bit less well with an average-sized ensemble. Who know why!

Ben, maybe you can insert a hidden slur, or a “legato” playback technique that is not shown in the score, but translates correctly in the playback.

Ximofa, this! Being able to immediately start listening, and with a decent quality, without having to load tons of gigabytes of samples is really handy.

Paolo

I really liked it, sounded much better than my attempts at making BBC SO that good! Well done!

1 Like

Alien! :sunglasses: Brilliant movie and beautiful soundtrack! :smiley:

1 Like

By the way, I just noticed that the URL of the audio file reveals the answer (although I did actually recognize the music :wink: ).

1 Like

I noticed that too, though it didnt mean anything to me and I didnt want to give the game away! :smiley:
I guess I am not in such a small minority as I assumed I was…
David

Just for comparison, here is the same piece performed by the old VSL VI instruments, with the MIR space added. I uses the Synchron Stage room, that should be the most compatible with anything that can be nowadays described with big and cinematic.

I didn’t nothing to the original score and MIDI CC lanes, apart for a bit of rough volume balancing. It’s just Dorico, its interpretation algorithms, and the sounds. As expected, it would require much more work than with NotePerformer, but it is already an usable starting point.

The big ending, pure

The big ending, with analog-like mastering

Paolo