another problem with 8v lines

In regard to my previous post about these there is a new problem. In piano, while have the line in G clef on the top staff, some notes in voice 1 cross over to bass clef, let’s say an f or an e. When I apply the octava bassa line to the bass it also causes the crossed over voices to transpose up an octave, even though they are in a different voice. If I move them down an octave then they sound an octave too low. This would mean I can’t notate the piano the way I want or again have to make 2 different scores, one for print and one for playback.

Under the hood, Dorico does have the capability of assigning an octave line only to a specific voice, which is indeed sometimes needed (though I would encourage you to mark the notes that are not affected by the octave line with “loco” to make it unambiguous to the performer what’s really going on). Unfortunately we don’t yet expose this in the user interface, but hopefully we will be able to do this soon.

1 Like

To my surprise it turns out that you can in fact create an octave line that applies only to one voice, as follows. Select the notes to which the octave line should apply, then type Shift+C to open the clefs popover, type e.g. “8va”, and then hold Alt and hit Return. Alternatively, with the mouse, select the notes to which the octave line should apply, then hold Alt and click on the octave line you want to add, and it will be added only to the specific voice whose notes you selected.

Thanks Daniel that will be very helpful.

Wasn’t able to get the first one to work but the second one “select the notes to which the octave line should apply, then hold Alt and click on the octave line you want to add” did work.

Brilliant! Just Googled it and found my answer. :smiley:

Perfect! This is exactly what I was trying to do!

Hi,

Using Dorico 5 trial. Works great, and will buy.

But, can’t add 8va to one voice only. Neither of the suggested solutions works. Use Alt key, but nothing happens at all.

Trying to attach the actual Debussy measures involved so you can see the publisher thought 8va OK in this instance.

Thanks so Much!

John Chester

You should be able to add 8ve to one voice. Select just the top voice and use shift-C 8 Alt-Enter.

Thanks Janus.

Doesn’t work. Nothing happens. I’ve tried “8” and “8va”.

John

In this case I think you don’t actually need a voice-specific octave line. In Dorico octave lines affect the position of notes that start under the line, even if they don’t cover the whole note. So if you create an octave line over the initial crotchet rest in the lower right-hand voice then it will affect the dotted semibreves but not the crotchets.

Works fine for me…
8ve.dorico (581.3 KB)

Thanks Janus. No luck. Maybe Dorico 5?

Thanks Richard. Worked! But still won’t do 8va for specific voice. Works for Janus, so maybe Dorico 5 specific?

I’m still on Dorico 4.

The trick with voice-specific lines should just be that you need to hold down the Alt key when you hit return in the popover. This is true for creating “special” versions of other sorts of events using the popover too, e.g. staff-specific time signatures, key signatures and chord symbols.

Thanks Richard. Yeah, know about the Alt + Return for special items (like dynamics in one voice only).

Will play with it some more.

Janus And Richard,

Opened it in Dorico 4 (not 5). Yep, works fine. So something about Dorico 5, I guess.

Will use Richard’s solution (place 8va on voice 2 rest). OK for now.

Thank you guys!

John

Ah, I see what you mean now! OK, this looks like some sort of bug with the Clefs popover - we’ll take a look. Thanks.

Thank YOU!