Another Quick Q;

Sorry Gents, there is always just more little thing that I must know…seeing that this entire forum is hardly attended and sleepy I not keeping my hopes up too high getting a response :slight_smile:

OK, One of the greatest feature of Nuendo when mixing TV post is the loudness monitoring.
But…do we have a way to export the entire program’s loudness data report ?

Not that I know of. A surprising amount of loudness software doesn’t, curiously. Dolby Media Meter does however, and I had to not use Nuendo recently to deal with the need for offline measurement.

Please join me in my feature request for this :slight_smile:

You can export the loudness data from a file. Select your bounced program and then go to

Audio->Statistics->Copy to clipboard

Yes, the difference with Dolby being that we’re only getting an analysis of the total length of the material, not in increments.

The last time I had to do this the (dumb) QC people had an objection to peaks being too low (lol) for a part of the program material. If I just read the entire content then everything looks fine. What is handy is being able to measure the content at regular intervals and look at that report to see if/when there are issues. Dolby Media Meter allows for that.

isn’t that the graph in the Loudness track that you are describing?

The last time I had to do this the (dumb) QC people had an objection to peaks being too low (lol) for a part of the program material.

That is a very common spec. Arte comes to mind. Program can’t be under x-dB for x-amount of time.

Fredo

No, because I was talking about exporting it into a readable file. Unless that can be exported of course. In Dolby MM I can go to a timecode location the QC people talked about and look at levels for that section.

I’d say it’s either a very uncommon spec because I’ve never ever seen it, including this time, or it’s region-dependent. It was dumb of the QC department because the docs they sent and referred to only referred to average loudness and maximum peak, and their solution to levels that were “too low” and “out of spec” - even though the spec didn’t say anything about a minimum - was to raise the level of content for a large period of time, bringing the average several dB above spec. So they didn’t care about spec, some person watching a meter thought it looked odd that peaks all of a sudden were lower.

And btw, I doubt that specs are stating minimum peaks. Minimum short term average possibly, but how on earth does one measure minimum peaks over X-time?

Well, yes and no. Using statistics works fine.
Or just export all your files, the basic data is already included within the wav files themselves (if you use interleaved files). You can do a quick basic check directly after the export in the import audio window, select the exported files and the basic data is displayed in the lower left hand corner. Or you can scan it with media bay.
Unfortunately none of these methods makes it quick and easy to export all the data as text for multiple files.
It should be quite easy to write a program to grab the data from the files themselves. Unfortunately my programming skills aren’t quite there though.